Narrowband

Just a beginner question

2 hours ago, swamp thing said:

If you are looking at the 50mm 1.8 D (this is the cheapest 50mm lens) auto focus will not work if used on the D3300.

Well spotted Steve.

Indeed, the 'G' (Gelded ) lens will be required for the 3300, likewise on my D5000

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

I wont use autofocus anyway just manual for astro :)

Okay buddy :thumbright: have fun with it. 

I just wanted you to be aware of it's limitations on the D3300 before you went and put money down :) 

It's a good little lens. Nice and sharp and very small. I have one ;) 

4 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

Okay buddy :thumbright: have fun with it. 

I just wanted you to be aware of it's limitations on the D3300 before you went and put money down :) 

It's a good little lens. Nice and sharp and very small. I have one ;) 

1 more question:.

Can I get 30-60 second star tracking with the eq-1 motorized? :)/

32 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

1 more question:.

Can I get 30-60 second star tracking with the eq-1 motorized? :)/

The main considerations for accuracy even for just 1 minute of exposure.

1 - polar alignment of mount

2 - stability of mount

3 - accuracy of actual motor being used

4 - balance

The eq1 tripod does not the ability to polar align, so you could research and see if you could fashion a way to do this DIY or learn how to drift align.

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

The main considerations for accuracy even for just 1 minute of exposure.

1 - polar alignment of mount

2 - stability of mount

3 - accuracy of actual motor being used

4 - balance

The eq1 tripod does not the ability to polar align, so you could research and see if you could fashion a way to do this DIY or learn how to drift align.

If I learn to drift align the eq-1 than I can use for 30-60sec exposures?6/

This link here is by a very respected member of SGL and is very knowledgeable about astro imaging. So the link might answer your question.

Three more related links.

EQ1 used to take M42 with a camera and a lens.

link here

How to polar align an EQ1

link here

Polar scope added to this EQ1 and got over 2 minutes in exposure.

link here

I think looking at their photo they add a sight/finder to be able to polar align their mount, on the attached marked A. They would aim to get Polaris visible in the middle of that sight/finder. 

Once a mount is aligned the camera can be set to point anywhere in the sky.

polar.png

Just now, happy-kat said:

I think looking at their photo they add a sight to be able to polar align their mount, on the attached marked A. They would aim to get Polaris visible in the middle of that sight.

polar.png

But i still dont understand how that make the tracking better

Once a mount is aligned to Polaris it will follow the Earth's rotation. Really it should be the North Celestial Pole star but you wouldn't be able to see that and Polaris is good enough for your needs. The Earth does not rotate around 90 degress but the NCP and that is dependent on where in the world you are for example I am at 51.8 degrees. If you do not align the mount to your latitude you will not prevent star trails.

Once a mount is aligned to Polaris it will follow the Earth's rotation. Really it should be the North Celestial Pole star but you wouldn't be able to see that and Polaris is good enough for your needs. The Earth does not rotate around 90 degress but the NCP and that is dependent on where in the world you are for example I am at 51.8 degrees. If you do not align the mount to your latitude you will not prevent star trails.

Im in Serbia :/

Next time it is dark look at the Sky to the East, see a star, now look again 2 hours later and see how it has moved, the sky moves for the Northern Hemisphere East to West. You need to be able to track how the sky moves. You can use Google for your location to find what the latitude is for where you live, that will be close enough for your needs.

Next time it is dark look at the Sky to the East, see a star, now look again 2 hours later and see how it has moved, the sky moves for the Northern Hemisphere East to West. You need to be able to track how the sky moves. You can use Google for your location to find what the latitude is for where you live, that will be close enough for your needs.

And after that i can get nice longer exposures?

You stand a better chance but still relies on the accuracy of the motor, your ability to DIY the EQ1 to be able to polar align, that the mount is level and is balanced and that it is not windy.

If you can not do any DIY then you should read the link on how to polar align by drift aligning.

24 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

You stand a better chance but still relies on the accuracy of the motor, your ability to DIY the EQ1 to be able to polar align, that the mount is level and is balanced and that it is not windy.

If you can not do any DIY then you should read the link on how to polar align by drift aligning.

Which motor is cheap but accurate?

21 hours ago, serbiadarksky said:

So thats mean that I cant use the 50mm onthe D3300?

You would almost certainly be able to use it in manual focus mode (which is what you would be doing in astro anyway).  The cheaper Nikons cannot autofocus the older lenses.

Archived