SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I SAW IT ..... i saw it ..... WOW

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Tareq -

You may find this article by David Knisely useful for your interests:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/useful-filters-for-viewing-deep-sky-objects/

It seems to cover the Light-Pollution aspect of our hobby quite well.

Thank you for sharing what's up in Ajman currently.

Have fun,

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thank you very much for the link, i appreciate it.

To know what is up in Ajman then simply use one of those sky map app such as Stellarium, change the location to Ajman and enjoy the sky map.

Clear sky!

Tareq

Story of Pleiades

In the Seven Sisters story in Aboriginal Australia, the group of stars are Napaljarri sisters from one skin group. In the Warlpiri story of this Jukurrpa, the sisters are often represented carrying the Jampijinpa man Wardilyka, who is in love with the women. Then the morning star, Jukurra-jukurra, who is a Jakamarra man and who is also in love with the seven Napaljarri sisters, is shown chasing them across the night sky. They are seen to be running away, fleeing from the man who wants to take one of the sisters for his wife. However under traditional law, the man pursuing the sisters is the wrong skin group and is forbidden to take a Napaljarri wife.

So the Seven Sisters are running away from the Jampijinpa man, they travel across the land, and then from a steep hill they launch themselves into the sky in an attempt to escape. But the Jakamarra man follows the sisters into the sky, travelling in the form of a star seen in the Orion’s Belt star cluster, which is also seen as the base of the Big Dipper. So every night the Seven Sisters launch themselves from earth into the night sky, and every night the Jampijinpa man follows after them across the sky.

21 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Story of Pleiades

In the Seven Sisters story in Aboriginal Australia, the group of stars are Napaljarri sisters from one skin group. In the Warlpiri story of this Jukurrpa, the sisters are often represented carrying the Jampijinpa man Wardilyka, who is in love with the women. Then the morning star, Jukurra-jukurra, who is a Jakamarra man and who is also in love with the seven Napaljarri sisters, is shown chasing them across the night sky. They are seen to be running away, fleeing from the man who wants to take one of the sisters for his wife. However under traditional law, the man pursuing the sisters is the wrong skin group and is forbidden to take a Napaljarri wife.

So the Seven Sisters are running away from the Jampijinpa man, they travel across the land, and then from a steep hill they launch themselves into the sky in an attempt to escape. But the Jakamarra man follows the sisters into the sky, travelling in the form of a star seen in the Orion’s Belt star cluster, which is also seen as the base of the Big Dipper. So every night the Seven Sisters launch themselves from earth into the night sky, and every night the Jampijinpa man follows after them across the sky.

Wow! What a fascinating story! Far more interesting than the Greco-Roman version I was educated in. Thank you, Cletrac!

Stellarium has the Aborigine Boorong version of the night-sky option in it. I think I'll immerse myself for awhile.

Thank you again! It's these sort of things that makes SGL such a wonderful forum!

Dave

Nice story, at least i can think about something why they called it "seven sisters", fantasy is free and nice to have, thanks for the story.

I am very sad that my imaging may take very long time before i start, always something wrong in addition to the head and humidity so i decided i will wait much longer until i solve problems or issues then i will go out, i tried 2 nights with the mount and i failed, not good to try with wrong preparation and lack of things, so better i settle down and get things sorted out properly then i will give it a try again later.

I keep going out to watch, still i can see M45 and M42 starts many nights so far, some night fine clear and some not that much clear, but the clearer actually is after the midnight about 2 hours until around 1 hour before the twilight of sunrise, i do also see another stars, but i feel seeing stars isn't the whole joy, so i saw Orion stars but i can't image Orion it is no fun for me, i spent money for imaging not visual, even with visual i am still not able to see one nebulae at all, even can't see those bright clusters or a galaxy, so i planned for imaging because visual from my yard isn't much, only planets but i have to big scope anyway.

I got the budget today but i am tired, so tomorrow i will go to recharge my card so i will order a filter tomorrow hope so, but i am trying to find another item and still don't know which one to buy or from where/which online store/dealer, i found one but to my bad luck it is not in stock, and there is another one from FLO but i have no idea if it is gonna work or not, will figure it out soon before tomorrow i hope.

Dave

Not sure you have noticed

Japanese car manufacture Subaru uses  Pleiades as its grill badge

Another fascinating fact is the Australian Aboriginal Astronomy

Emu in the Milky Way

Coalsack

This constellation is made up of dark nebulas, rather than by stars in the milky way (warrumbul).
In Autumn, the Emu stretches from the South to the South-east, giving the impression the Emu has legs and appears to be running (female emu birds chase the males during mating) this time indicates mating season and egg laying. Emu eggs will be ready to eat.

In Winter, the Emu appearance changes with the legs disappearing, so now it is the male Emu sitting on its nest, hatching the new chicks. This time is also for egg collections. In late winter, the Emu becomes indistinct, with the body shape now representing an emu egg. This indicates the chicks are hatching and eggs are no longer available.

In Spring, the Emu appears to be sitting on the horizon. This is interpreted as the Emu sitting in a waterhole, which indicates the waterholes are full (typical after the winter rains).

Later in Summer the Emu dips even lower. Now the Emu is believed to have left the waterhole (the usual case as the country becomes dry in the summer months).

The Emu in the Sky will not be visible again until its head peaks above the horizon in late summer, followed by the body in March.

Cheers

John

Nice view today of the moon with Saturn and Antares, i first mistakenly pointed Antares as Saturn and Saturn as a star maybe Arcturus, even after i look through binocular, but Stellarium is my permanent friend told me what are they and where are they, wish i had a mood to image some of those events like this in the sky, i wasn't in mood today.

I don't know why i see the sky better view when the moon is available than when the moon is completely off, i thought the moon even if half or quarter will kill and view of stars except very bright big stars, but i got amazed when my little daughter looked at the moon and the 2 objects [Saturn and Antares] and then told me she can see more stars below the moon and near Saturn or around in that area, when i focused more i also saw them, and that is why i brought the bino to see all better, nice to know my daughter's sight is good enough, i hope i am not getting older then, but if i focus clearly to adjust to the darkness i can see, but she or my another daughter can point the stars right away.

I started to love looking at the sky when it is getting clear, regardless of the light pollution i managed to see something, i don't know how good or strong DSO i should view under light pollution, but i really care if the camera can do that job for me than my eyes, so here is one quick shot of what is there regardless i may not see that by my naked eyes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4I-uV6EfY2mVFB6alNOUWw5N28/view?usp=sharing

I think the EXIF will show you what camera and lens i was using, on a photographic tripod, no mount and no tracking at all, only single exposure as i wanted just something quick, this image alone gave me now a very very great hope that i can do a lot once my Ha filter arrives and then i operate my mount, not sure if i will have better results with unmodded camera and lens as i did here against an astro cooled mono camera and a scope with Ha filter.

I found out the other day that C/2015 ER61 (Panstarrs) was going right by the Pleiades at present. Here's a quick article:

Comet-Hunting Near the Pleiades.pdf

And here's Cartes du Ciel (CdC) take on it last night:

59a613062ce5c_C2015ER61(PANSTARRS).thumb.png.2edfe6f1b04e9553657c37419bd9fb7f.png

All the more reason to spend one's time with this wonderful grouping of stars!

Have fun,

Dave

Archived