Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Habicht 8x30 Swarovski binoculars

pluton

Hello,

I have a possibility of to buy a second hand Swarovski Habicht 8x30, and I like know your opinion on this vintage bino for visual observations of wide field vistas of sky or Milky Way...also for terrestrial.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I have an older pair that I found in a charity shop a couple of years back. Rather tatty exterior but superb optically, really sharp and bright, and lightweight as well. My favourite birding / travel binoculars :icon_biggrin:

Sharp when used for astronomy but I tend to prefer a little more aperture for that.

Not even close in price comparison, but my  grab & go binoculars are the Helios 8x40's ( https://www.thebinocularshop.com/helios-naturesport-plus-8x40-wa-binoculars.html ) they do what your asking, FOV & terrestrial, and have become my overall favourite binocular  with their +8° field, which is great for wide field star gazing, and their also easy to handhold due to the low magnification, better still, mounted, (most binoculars benefit having a rock steady image ) providing a nice sharp image, their quick too at close quarters around the garden for the birds , however, optically,  never having looked through swaroski's, I'm not sure how £70 binoculars would compare ?

Having said that, I know spending a fortune on an eyepiece doesn't always bring with it,  the best views, worthy of the extra money, Ive been there, done that, and happy with the remaining EP's in my collection?  Same with binoculars! I feel the next set I want/need is the Oberwerk Ultras, but I will still probably grab my 8x40's first!!

Price isn't everything, but if you desire them and the price is good, go get them.  You can always move them on?

My tatty but optically sound Habicht Tirol 8x30's cost under a tenner !. Now that was a bargain :icon_biggrin:

We have some of the Helios Naturesport Plus 8x40's and 10x50's and those are very nice as well.

The Habicht 8x30 is an outstanding binocular with a great reputation. It has been in production for many decades and many subtle improvements have been made over the years. Though it still has the classic feel and charm of a vintage bino. I bought mine new about 3 years ago. It is not my first choice for astronomy as I prefer a 10x50 or 15x60, however it does give beautiful sharp stars and is surprisingly satisfying to use if you have realistic expectations. I would also recommend the Nikon 8x30EII. It is similar with a wider field of view, though perhaps not quite as robust as the Swarovski.

Check out this website;

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/

IMG_0362 - Copy.JPG

Archived