Narrowband

GoTo doesn't work

I tried to use the GoTo function on the Nexstar SLT 130 for the first time last night. I got through all the steps to set in date, time, place etc. But When I have to find 3 objects in the night sky, I have to use the direction buttons on the handset, whenever I press one of those 4 buttons, the handset just dies out. The screen becomes green, it says nothing on it, until 1-2 minutes later, it says something about error 16 or 17. 
Keep in mind that the whole handset works up until the point I have to use it to align. What this means is that my scope does not move up or down, nor right or left, since it just shuts down. 

What I've tried: 
- Change batteries (AA's) 
- Try to use a power supply
- Updated the firmware in the handset to the latest version

What could be the problem? 

- Mehtevas

Hi Mehtevas, I would think that it sounds like a power supply issue, the AA batteries are not the best thing to use, its always better to use a powertank or a power supply which you can plug into the wall.  but be careful using these plug in power supplies in wet/damp conditions.

I would try a "dummy" set up in the daytime indoors with a power supply plugged into the wall and align where you think the stars are in the daytime, you can use a phone app like "SkyEye" or similar to search for stars above your horizon to align on - run the scope over 30 minutes or so with electric power to check the power source.  hope you get it sorted.

Paul.

As the buttons do not do a lot it sounds like low power especially as it goes kind of blank. You are not trying to use rechargeables by chance are you? They are 1.2volt not 1.5 volt and Celestrons need a good 12 volt, as in up around 13 volt and decent current as well. Equally Error 16 and/or 17 tended to imply that you need to reload the firmware.

There are explaination of 16+17 out there and until 4 hours ago I had a link to one. However I decided that a column of links longer then the screen meant some had to go and it appears I wiped it out of existance. Then you post asking about them.

Error 16 or 17 means the handset has lost communiction with the mount. 16 and 17 are the motor control processors. This is often that the cable/plug/pin is not making good contact, or no contact. Check out the plugs and sockest to see if there is any hting obvious, give the plug a gentle wiggle to see if the fault disappears.

http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/NoResponse.htm

That is not the one I had but gives some explanation. But pin contacts sound the most probable. At this time, and low power/current may be a factor.

If you want try a Google search for "celestron nexstar errors 16 17". Happy reading.

Hello guys, sorry for the late response! Very sorry. 

I have tried one adaptor, it has the following: Input, 230V - 50 HZ. Output, 12 VDC 500 mA. 
When I tried this adaptor, the hand control would not read me error messages any more, but Instead the number "5" would appear in the upper right corner of the hand control. Furthermore, the mount itself would make a "dizz"- noice, that to me seemed like the motor tried to move, but could not. You know, the sound an electronic devise outputs, but nothing happens. 
Also, my Handcontrol has the version 5.29, while the motor firmware has the 5.18 version. I've checked the links above, where it says the latest motor control firmware is the 5.18 as well. 

Any suggestions guys? 

Thank you guys for your replies! 
I just bought an adaptor with 12V and 5A, but the problem still persist. The mount keep making the same noise, and doesn't move. And the number '5' shows up in the upper right corner of the handset screen. 

I guess this means it wasn't a power issue after all??? 

- Mehtevas

16 hours ago, Mehtevas said:

Found the solution after a few minutes. I just had to let the adapter adjust itself to the voltage etc. It's all working properly now! Thank you guys for the help :)

Great news, always nice to hear of problems solved.

Archived