Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So close to ordering, but then...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I have to eat my words. This is a stack without any bias or flats, just stacked:

M33_first_tooling.thumb.png.65974cac5fe3b5d9f5067102921dbcff.png

The magic setting in DSS is this one:

DSS_setting.png.3ff21f1342e21f3ca860828b30ff23e4.png

At least I now know there is data available. Now to spend a Sunday creating calibration frames.

hmm, yesterday was another clear night, but I had such a horrible time finding focus. Between that night and the night before I had taken the camera off the tube. These are closeups of the same image, left side vs right side.

left_side_focus.png.fa1583b4f314dda08511bbe24f9cba53.pngright_side_focus.png.1a8f9407074eed06b53b05987b239080.png

It basically renders every frame I took yesterday useless, so that's a bummer.

My idea for trouble shooting is to rotate the camera 180 degrees at the connection with the scope -> if the focus is off on the same side, there is misalignment in the connectors. If not, there is a problem on the mirror side, which gives me panic, because I have no clue what to do with that. Other ideas?

13 hours ago, Datalord said:

hmm, yesterday was another clear night, but I had such a horrible time finding focus. Between that night and the night before I had taken the camera off the tube. These are closeups of the same image, left side vs right side.

left_side_focus.png.fa1583b4f314dda08511bbe24f9cba53.pngright_side_focus.png.1a8f9407074eed06b53b05987b239080.png

It basically renders every frame I took yesterday useless, so that's a bummer.

My idea for trouble shooting is to rotate the camera 180 degrees at the connection with the scope -> if the focus is off on the same side, there is misalignment in the connectors. If not, there is a problem on the mirror side, which gives me panic, because I have no clue what to do with that. Other ideas?

Lesson learned. The mirror lock has to be locked.

• 2 months later...

Alright, if anyone googles this thread, I think I owe it to give some idea of what I have been able to do with it. Mind you, I'm 3 months in, with only a dozen of cloud free nights, so lots of tinkering still to come.

Biggest learning curves on this setup: Focusing, guiding (for some reason it is bloody hard to get PA'ed perfectly). Best thing: Short subs give a ton of signal!

Anyways, a collection.

5a0914028d648_Pleiades-Tooled-noised-levels.thumb.jpg.be8769972c22564f1b6e018b5352e1f2.jpg

5a09142238fb2_Rosette-Firststack-tooled-curved.thumb.jpg.7b9d448f4332fcb51273bd03aa1c21b6.jpg

First_light_de-noised-layeredAndcoloured-scaledDown.thumb.jpg.144fbd185a8f7b4c4f0ffb19612529d3.jpg

5a091432863c7_M31-Bestpostprocessyet.thumb.jpg.4b57a858ebfd2adb82d88dd2c1c397fe.jpg

5a091449a6bb4_M33-Calibratedstack-Tooled-Gimped.thumb.jpg.1e7a2cd151a25f9ead0816f20f0b67f6.jpg

37 minutes ago, AKB said:

Nice to see a happy conclusion!  Would be interesting to know the integration times on these?

Ah, right.

Pleiades: 70*120s

Rosette: 13*600s

Veil: 64*30s (Canon 6D)

Andromeda: Multiple sessions, I think I picked out about 4 hours of exposures from a batch of 7-8 hours in total.

M33: 32*600s

One more from last night. 4h18m in 180s exposures.

Bode - Perspex - Noise - gimped - blue.jpg

Edit: What a difference a flat makes.

The upper picture was done with flats from a perspex plate about the dew shield. What I didn't notice was that I had a crack of light between the shield and the plate, resulting in a slightly flawed series. Below I used flats from a clear blue sky. The difference in the colour band is astounding. I used pretty much the exact same technique in post, but getting the colour out of the picture below was much, much easier.

Flats are the science of this hobby.

5a099547c3653_Bode-Secondstack-Sky-tooleed-color.thumb.jpg.8f39edccd6f08b810cabf0221da174d0.jpg

Now you realise that flats are so important, maybe it is time to invest in an EL panel: http://www.gerdneumann.net/english/astrofotografie-parts-astrophotography/aurora-flatfield-panels/uebersicht-aurora-flatfield-panels-overview.html works better then anything else, i.m.h.o.

B.t.w., I think your focusing could be better. Because of the very steep lightcone, focusing is very critical with the RASA 

11 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Now you realise that flats are so important, maybe it is time to invest in an EL panel: http://www.gerdneumann.net/english/astrofotografie-parts-astrophotography/aurora-flatfield-panels/uebersicht-aurora-flatfield-panels-overview.html works better then anything else, i.m.h.o.

B.t.w., I think your focusing could be better. Because of the very steep lightcone, focusing is very critical with the RASA 

I bought an EL panel (different make), but it was just way too powerful. I'll get a chance to test it better when I get my aluminium dew cap in a few weeks.

Yes, focusing is a pain. This is probably my best effort so far, which was achieved with the help of SGPro and its focusing tool. But I wish I knew a way to automate it, I just can't find the right tools out there. Too much chance to get the wrong thing. How do you achieve focus?

I use: http://starizona.com/acb/MicroTouch-Low-Profile-Stepper-Motor-P3360C745.aspx
with this: http://starizona.com/acb/MicroTouch-Autofocuser---Wireless-P1041C745.aspx. The wired version is $ 130 cheaper
both include the Stepper motor I mentioned, low on the page in the ordering section you will find a list for choosing the right motor. This motor works with very small increments and allows to get perfect focus with such a super fast system like the RASA.
FocusMax V4 is my favorite, but the MicroTouch software includes V3.8 for free. It should work with AGP.

I'm quite fine with the challenge and I've sunk so much money into it already that a bit more doesn't put me off. I just want to make sure it fits to my system, which is probably the biggest hurdle. I'm going to start with the bathinov mask and see if it gives me what I hope for.

You will have to re-focus regularly, because focusing is very critical. Since the RASA has an aluminum tube temperature has quite an influence on the focus position. You will have to refocus every few degrees the temperature drops during the session. With a Bahtinov mask you will have to stop your imaging sequence and focus manually.

Since you were talking about automation, I proposed the MicroTouch system, which works great and has a temperature compensation routine, which allows you to set a sequence and go to bed, once it has learned how to react on the changes.

On top of that the steps it makes are smaller than you can do manually, so better focus. You already found out how hard it is to get precise focus, by hand...

11 hours ago, Waldemar said:

You will have to re-focus regularly, because focusing is very critical. Since the RASA has an aluminum tube temperature has quite an influence on the focus position. You will have to refocus every few degrees the temperature drops during the session. With a Bahtinov mask you will have to stop your imaging sequence and focus manually.

Since you were talking about automation, I proposed the MicroTouch system, which works great and has a temperature compensation routine, which allows you to set a sequence and go to bed, once it has learned how to react on the changes.

On top of that the steps it makes are smaller than you can do manually, so better focus. You already found out how hard it is to get precise focus, by hand...

Alright, alright, you convinced me. I'll order ASAP.

Next problem is that they don't ship outside the US...

Is this the right one (no wifi)? https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/starizona-micro-touch-focusing-system.html#SID=1691

Archived