Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2 eyepieces plus barlow = all I need ?

John

I dunno about about "highway to hell" but maybe their live album "if you want blood" maybe more apt☠️Having a beautiful eyepiece set like Johns in it's tidy case you would have to pry that from my cold dead hand.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, John said:

My goal now is to take Pig up on his offer above - but I suspect I'll have to fake it !

This eyepiece journey could turn out to be a "Highway to Hell" :evil4:

An acoustic set from AC/DC ? - No way !!!!

John, I do believe it is possible and I could quite happily stick with my 21mm & 8mm Ethos, the Leica ASPH and the VIP or equivalent 

The 41mm Panaptic is great for SCT observations should I ever get one again. But this could be moved on if I really needed to, and may indeed do so shortly ?

I think especially if you have the 100 degree eps this should be doable after my 28 the most used are probably the 22 and the 8 the others for better framing of the object +mag if needed,if using 50 degree plossls though I think it would be impossible.You would have to sacrifice the high mag increments though or use a different scope.Maybe 2 eps +VIP +one scope is more of a challenge.

55 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

I plan on having 4 eps, ES 20,14,9 and 5.5 all 100s though.

Ive thought about the ES 31mm 82 but I'm not sure I will use it enough ? Is 5 really that different to 4 ?

My original plan was to add 4 Ethos to my 31mm Nagler and then use the 5mm and 3.5mm Pentax XW's for the shorter focal lengths. So a 7 eyepiece set which I achieved some time back and have enjoyed very much :icon_biggrin:

Then I decided that having a 1.25" set would be nice for my refractors, especially the Tak 100 F/9 and the TMB / LZOS 130 F/9.2 because really wide views were less of a priority for those scopes and the weight of the bigger Ethos / Nagler units caused balance issues with the longer tubes. So I added the 7mm and 10mm XW's, then a 17.3mm Delos because I didn't fancy the field curvature that the 14mm and 20mm XW's seem to have. Then I fancied a 24mm 68 to top off the 1.25" set. I used the ES for a while but then a 24 Panoptic came up and I weakened - well it's a classic isn't it ? :rolleyes2:

I'd also picked up the 2-4mm Nagler zoom to use on tight double stars with the fracs. Thats worked really well in that role :icon_biggrin:

I did own the 4.7mm and 3.7mm Ethos SX 110 degree eyepieces for around a year as well but eventually I concluded that the Pentax XW 5 and 3.5 were getting picked out of the case more often for high power work so I let the 2 Ethos go (that was a battle internally but I think common sense won there).

The Baader CO's plus Q-Turret barlow plus Vixen NPL were bought for excellent used prices when I fancied a light and less constly set which still perform well. The 4mm HD ortho was a whim really but only cost a tenner :rolleyes2:

And finally I now have the much discussed, on here and other forums, Leica ASPH 8.9 - 17.9 mm zoom plus the Baader VIP barlow (which can be adapted to deliver from 1.5x to 3x) to try out.

Having this weakness for eyepieces, I dread to think how I'd react if some Zeiss ZAO orthos became available or the rare Pentax 5mm XO :rolleyes2:

I'd need to start a 4th eyepiece case ....... :rolleyes2:

4 hours ago, avtaram said:

I've been inspired by this thread to try and use 2 eyepieces and a barlow, in my case a Panoptic 24 and a Baader mklll 8-24 zoom with a 2.25 matched Barlow. Not sure how long it will last before I will feel the need to reach for other eyepieces but I will persevere for at least a month :icon_biggrin:.

All I need now are clear skies.

Avtar

It may be easier than you think.

When I'm out in dark site with C8, with the intension of making most of the few observations oppotunities, 31mm Aspheric and Leica Zoom are about the only EPs I needed for hunting faint fuzziee, galaxies mostly. with magnification 70x to 230x, it covers over 90% of my needs.:smiley:

21 minutes ago, John said:

My original plan was to add 4 Ethos to my 31mm Nagler and then use the 5mm and 3.5mm Pentax XW's for the shorter focal lengths. So a 7 eyepiece set which I achieved some time back and have enjoyed very much :icon_biggrin:

Then I decided that having a 1.25" set would be nice for my refractors, especially the Tak 100 F/9 and the TMB / LZOS 130 F/9.2 because really wide views were less of a priority for those scopes and the weight of the bigger Ethos / Nagler units caused balance issues with the longer tubes. So I added the 7mm and 10mm XW's, then a 17.3mm Delos because I didn't fancy the field curvature that the 14mm and 20mm XW's seem to have. Then I fancied a 24mm 68 to top off the 1.25" set. I used the ES for a while but then a 24 Panoptic came up and I weakened - well it's a classic isn't it ? :rolleyes2:

I'd also picked up the 2-4mm Nagler zoom to use on tight double stars with the fracs. Thats worked really well in that role :icon_biggrin:

I did own the 4.7mm and 3.7mm Ethos SX 110 degree eyepieces for around a year as well but eventually I concluded that the Pentax XW 5 and 3.5 were getting picked out of the case more often for high power work so I let the 2 Ethos go (that was a battle internally but I think common sense won there).

The Baader CO's plus Q-Turret barlow plus Vixen NPL were bought for excellent used prices when I fancied a light and less constly set which still perform well. The 4mm HD ortho was a whim really but only cost a tenner :rolleyes2:

And finally I now have the much discussed, on here and other forums, Leica ASPH 8.9 - 17.9 mm zoom plus the Baader VIP barlow (which can be adapted to deliver from 1.5x to 3x) to try out.

Having this weakness for eyepieces, I dread to think how I'd react if some Zeiss ZAO orthos became available or the rare Pentax 5mm XO :rolleyes2:

Wow honestly the way you explained it, having that many eps makes perfect sense ?

40 minutes ago, John said:

Vixen NPL were bought for excellent used prices

I still find myself pondering a 30mm NPL for the larger exit pupil. That would take me to 7 eyepieces though! It's so addictive and each of my eyepieces has given me views that I wouldn't have gotten from any of the others. I suppose that's the point of a large eyepiece collection, always having the right tool for whatever the cosmos throws at you :)

"... all I need"

'Need' is a funny little word I find when it comes to justifying astronomy purchases to myself ;)

You've a wonderful ep collection - I'd hazard a little guess that you might miss it :thumbsup:

(So just add the Lunt + zoom... :evil: :grin:)

I will shortly be travelling to the USA with only 3 or 4 EPs: MaxVision 24mm 68 deg, William Optics Zoom II 7.5-22.5mm and Vixen SLV 5mm (and perhaps the 15 too, as it is so light). I will see how much I miss the extreme  wide Nagler views. I have a nagging feeling I should bring the 22T4 instead of the MaxVision 24mm, but that would also entail bringing the 2" diagonal. I will see how I will get along.

Not saintly, John, you're cheating! :D

One of them's a zoom. ;) 

I had 2 EPs and a barlow with the etx90 for years, until I realised what I was missing!

Sorry, should have put my specs on! Just realised you'd written "sanity" not "saintly". :rolleyes2:

On 7/24/2017 at 19:52, John said:

John you need help,  I will offer it to you by taking the SX 4.7 & 3.7 off you hands on a lend to return when I am ready basis.  It makes things much easy for you to progress ! 

Interesting thread.

The  "My eyepiece Collection is now Complete" moments doesnt last for too long I think  :happy11:.

Its so dynamic; better eyepieces gets produced, a new Scope might need different focal lengths or weight,

besides : collecting eyepieces also happen to be a part of the hobby, at least for some Visual observers.

The fact that zoom and barlows, although high end, can compete With the best fixed eyepieces around is also a very interesting development

Personally I own these ones (main telescope 8" F6 dob):

- Hyperion zoom mkIII + 2,25 barlow, 

- Docter 12.5mm

- ES 20mm 100

I wanted to replace the zoom With fixed eyepieces,  but now I`m not too sure anymore.

Rune

PS Good Luck With Your decision John!

18 minutes ago, jabeoo1 said:

John you need help,  I will offer it to you by taking the SX 4.7 & 3.7 off you hands on a lend to return when I am ready basis.  It makes things much easy for you to progress ! 

Thanks for the offer James but I did have the will power (just) to sell those a few weeks ago. The Pentax XW 5 and 3.5 serve admirably well in those focal lengths.

After a few sessions with the Lieca Zoom (2 with the dob and 2 with refractors) I'm starting to learn what it can do.

The combination of sheer optical quality with the instantly variable focal length, a decent FoV (58 - 75 degrees) and viewing comfort are starting to win me over :icon_biggrin:

5 minutes ago, jabeoo1 said:

I managed to boil mine down to a 3-6 TV Zoom, 8mm & 17mm* ethos.  Thats it for me now, done and dusted :)  

* Not looked thought it yet !

I could certainly live with that set !

27 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Interesting thread.

The  "My eyepiece Collection is now Complete" moments doesnt last for too long I think  :happy11:.

Its so dynamic; better eyepieces gets produced, a new Scope might need different focal lengths or weight,

besides : collecting eyepieces also happen to be a part of the hobby, at least for some Visual observers.

The fact that zoom and barlows, although high end, can compete With the best fixed eyepieces around is also a very interesting development

Personally I own these ones (main telescope 8" F6 dob):

- Hyperion zoom mkIII + 2,25 barlow, 

- Docter 12.5mm

- ES 20mm 100

I wanted to replace the zoom With fixed eyepieces,  but now I`m not too sure anymore.

Rune

PS Good Luck With Your decision John!

You have the Docter, among the best,  and 100° ES for XWA, it'll be your call if your collection is completed:smiley: Personally, I'd think that you'll need to add a 30-35mm EP for faint large nebulas (even if you add a refractor) before making the call.

31 minutes ago, John said:

The combination of sheer optical quality with the instantly variable focal length, a decent FoV (58 - 75 degrees) and viewing comfort are starting to win me over :icon_biggrin:

:thumbsup:

That's my perception too

I have a large collection, but don't take much time choosing what I will use on a target. On a galaxy hunt, I will start with the Nagler 31T5, and quickly switch to the 22T4 when I have found it. I then inspect it and judge whether the 17T4 might be better (typically on compact galaxies). For planetaries, the 31T5 is the finder once more, and I then switch to the 17T4, Delos 14 or Nagler 12T4, again, depending on surface brightness and size. In rare cases I even throw in the XW10. For planets, the Delos 14mm is up first, and then depending on conditions I work my way up the magnification ladder to see what works best. The Leica Zoom is certainly very interesting, and might replace a couple of my EPs, at some point

Although far from my ideal set currently, I could get away with these in my Tak.

24mm Panoptic

18mm BGO

3 to 6 Nag Zoom

Zeiss Abbe Barlow

Tak Prism

The Pan or the BGO will Barlow nicely at x2 or x3 so plenty of options between x31 and x246. Lacking in widefield but that's just life.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Although far from my ideal set currently, I could get away with these in my Tak.

24mm Panoptic

18mm BGO

3 to 6 Nag Zoom

Zeiss Abbe Barlow

Tak Prism

The Pan or the BGO will Barlow nicely at x2 or x3 so plenty of options between x31 and x246. Lacking in widefield but that's just life.

This begs the question Stu, what would your ideal set be ? :icon_biggrin:

On 7/20/2017 at 23:21, John said:

Ok, here goes:

31mm Nagler, 21mm Ethos, 13mm Ethos, 8mm Ethos, 6mm Ethos, 24mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 10mm Pentax XW, 7mm Pentax XW, 5mm Pentax XW, 3.5mm Pentax XW, 2-4mm Nagler Zoom

4mm Hutech Ortho, 6mm Baader Classic ortho, 10mm Baader Classic ortho, 18mm Baader Classic ortho, Baader Q-Turret 2.25x barlow, Vixen NPL 30mm

Leica ASPH zoom 17.8mm - 8.9mm, Baader VIP barlow in the pipeline

:rolleyes2:

Hi John,

A bit late to this but for what it's worth, I'd take a deep breath and.....do what Richard says. Try the two ep solution and barlow for a week or two, resist going for anything else in your case during that time, and then do an honest appraisal of how you feel.  If you do feel the urge, whilst doing that, to reach for something else, resist the urge but log what it was you wanted to go for - that is clearly then an eyepiece(s) you would miss if you let it go.

Looking at your Astro Shop, sorry, eyepiece collection :D, if it were me I would keep the Pentax XW's as I have never had better higher power views with anything than through one of those, and they hardly cross over with the Leica Zoom apart from the 10mm. Also, I predict the XWs will be a future collectors item. I'd keep the Nagler 31mm or replace it with something of the same fov but maybe lighter in weight, for wide, low power and I'd keep the Leica Zoom to fill in the 10mm+ to 17.8mm range.

So, you'd be left with 4 XW's, the Leica Zoom, the T31 Nagler and the VIP barlow - 7 pieces including the barlow, versus 20 pieces now. And use the proceeds from the sale of the others to buy a decent refractor! (only joking!:p:p).

I do totally get the idea of simplifying things to get more eyepiece time.. I felt the "couple of eyepieces and a zoom" urge a few years back, but finally settled on a modest number of fixed length decent eps: although I would be very tempted by the Leica Aspheric if funds permitted, having owned the earlier Leica Vario zoom, which was excellent.

Dave

Thanks Dave :smiley:

It's good to know that others have felt similar urges to achieve a small, tight set. Interesting also that relatively few have achieved, and stuck with that.

I'm being more rigourous for a while at keeping a note of what eyepieces I use frequently and with which scope. I can then review the situation in due course and see how the useage is panning out.

If I do decide to move some eyepieces on it will be because of duplication rather than performance issues I think. They all seem to be very good performers :smiley:

Archived