Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unistellar eVscope

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I have the StellaCam ll and lll, great cameras if you like monochrome images. I do!    :icon_biggrin:

Agreed! In their initial advertising they estimated that in regards to it's light-grasp, they could multiply the effective aperture of a telescope by upwards of 5X. So my 12" Scope du Jour would have the effective aperture of a 60" telescope. Ka-Ching!$

Sold -

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have to say this is one piece of kit that has me extremely excited :)

My son (4 y.o.) has started coming out with me to look through my scope (meaning I have to give up imaging time), this will mean we can let my main scope fire away while we tour the sky or even take it with us on trips. Also my dad, who is getting on a bit & can't manage either the weight of powerful scopes, alignment procedures or even the software; will find this to be perfect.

I honestly see us buying one each (my dad & I).

I was looking at a man being interviewed, but I did not see the man. He seemed very patient though.

Oh dear. This interviewer is a moron.

Do you think those vanes in the telescope directly support the camera? They're very wide.

So by that 'logic' we shouldn't watch football on the tv...because it's an image-right and somehow not real? Definitely time to cut back on Journalism courses, or is that what the interviewer needs to attend?

It will be good to see how the product roll out, I can see a lot of newcomers purchasing the product if the price is right.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Steve

Just seen it.  I think this is an exciting idea that  will really catch on with lots of people, but I suspect many others will continue to maintain that unless your eye is reacting to the actual photons that have travelled the vast distance in time and space from the target (which after all is a wondrous thing) it isn't " real" but  an image of an image ie once removed.  Having said that, I suppose when we go to a live music performance we hear the amplified ie electronically processed sound and the question arises as to whether that is "real" But in this case at least you have the performer(s) physically present, so maybe the answer is to have a conventional scope and the Evescope product side by side! How about both in one unit?

The Evescope was earmarked a few Months back if I'm not mistaken, with an estimated £1K price tag!
I doubt its 100 times more powerful than my 8" due to physics, but its sensory interpretation might be better.
Not sure you need to stand near this scope all the time, the finder/eyepiece is possibly just there to locate your first Star prior to alignment, although the scopes 'brain' will/should  know where it is and what its looking at, if correctly set-up??
The fact that the 'stored/stacked/processed' images need to be downloaded to 'see  the 100x better' final  processed images, does pose the question, 'what are you looking at?" a live image or a processed image, but that argument turned into a farce. 
I'll imagine that what I'll see through the eyepiece will be less than what my own 8" would achieve, with the sensor collecting details that my eye cannot, which is why when you see processed images in all their glory, you wonder where it all comes from?

If it works ( no doubt it does ) and under perfect sky/conditions It would be a tidier set-up than most imaging setups you see these days!

57 minutes ago, ejp1684 said:

Anyone else see this interview on the BBC website? Exactly what was the point the interviewer was making? If you look at an image you're not seeing the night sky???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-42456997/ces-2018-evescope-s-new-way-to-study-the-night-sky

Eric.

What the BBC has become, tabloid soundbites to shock or unimpress people.

I want one of those scopes!

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

Reviewed briefly on the BBC Click web pages as at CES. The crowdfunding page announces development is complete and it will be sold from November 2018.

This is great news!

I think it's just a case of you either like it or you don't.  Looking at the clip I didn't see anywhere to look through directly so you have to watch a screen of some kind to view "Live".  Other than that I can see forums become saturate to death with fabulous images "taken by me with my new telescope".

But I want one for sure!

Plenty of stuff on cloudynights about this scope

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/597946-evscope-opinions-please/

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/597032-any-thoughts-on-unistellars-evscope/

My opinion is that it's a scope for people who don't or can't go outside. Why would you stand outside getting cold to see an "image" you could view inside in the warm ? 

In which case, why not just google the object and see a Hubble image :) (a visual observers view point)

Seems a scope for imagers to get excited about. Observers can get excited about Night Vision instead.

"100 times more powerful than a classic telescope!" - is it badged as "National Geographic" by any chance?

5 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

In which case, why not just google the object and see a Hubble image :) 

Indeed. :happy11:

There are those who like to look at pictures of what's out there.

There are those who enjoy the challenge and sense of accomplishment that come with actually taking pictures of what's out there.

And there are those who just like to look up and see what's out there.

It's all good - whatever is "real" to you is what matters.

Personally, I prefer my photons raw.

:icon_biggrin:

Think it could be highly useful to anyone observing from light polluted skies - that could be many people with the introduction of the new LED street lamps.

Anything though, that encourages people to get outside and start observing or for people "down-teching" from an EQ or heavier set up? 

Not to mention the collaboration in tracking asteroids etc, am all for having more options for people to choose from in astronomy.

Chris

2 hours ago, stash_old said:

Lots of people,on SGL, have been following Evescope but I found this interview funny in a sad way http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-42456997/ces-2018-evescope-s-new-way-to-study-the-night-sky

I don't know why the interviewer felt he needed to be so sceptical, perhaps he felt the interviewee was trying to mislead, but I didn't like the interviewer's attitude. As to the interviewer saying I've got an app that can do that - really? He has an app that can do all that? Generally, a very irritating interview. :hmh:

1 minute ago, RobertI said:

I don't know why the interviewer felt he needed to be so sceptical, perhaps he felt the interviewee was trying to mislead, but I didn't like the interviewer's attitude. As to the interviewer saying I've got an app that can do that - really? He has an app that can do all that? Generally, a very irritating interview. :hmh:

Perhaps because the "Click" guy doesn't know what he is on about - he just presents the shows and had a lesson from Jeremy Dickson Paxman

The scope's concept is great in many ways. 

It is good for people who have eyesight problems. 

It is good for those wanting better views from a scope of their own without having to buy huge dob's. 

It will be good as an educational instrument for college & home. Showing what mankind's effect as much as weather denies too often. 

It is good because there will be bigger better scopes with superior optics & software to follow. Modules could incorporate night vision. Imagine 8 or more inch versions

It is good because this is the next big step in amateur astronomy. It is as least as big as Dobsonians & fast mirrors were when first introduced.

For the optically challenged, it's a different but great asset for viewing. For tech-shy folk, the Evscope will hopefully be as uncomplicated as your mobile phone or tablet has become. 

Whilst the BBC interview may not have been in good taste, he is driving home the point that the process produces an image and is no different to the current process of taking half a dozen images, stacking them and then displaying them on a screen having been stretched by software.    The "eyepiece" is actually a camera / screen combination as the resulting in the accumulated light being projected into the eyepiece.

I have to agree though, that the concept and results (assuming they are as good as claimed) will make observing a joy for lots of newcomers, but then think how disappointing it will be when they look through a conventional scope 

On 07/01/2018 at 10:51, oobydooby said:

I think it's just a case of you either like it or you don't.  Looking at the clip I didn't see anywhere to look through directly so you have to watch a screen of some kind to view "Live".  Other than that I can see forums become saturate to death with fabulous images "taken by me with my new telescope".

But I want one for sure!

But that is what you see on a digital camera or camcorder screen - pixels! True some have a window as well, but on most we are looking at shrunk processed images before snapping the shot. 

Archived