Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Odd behavior from a new Mount

Clownfish

I bought a new CEM25P and just spend two nights trying to get it to track.  I've had many GEM mounts over the last 30 years, so I thought this would easy.  But it seems that either I have a problem with the mount, or I am getting old.

I leveled, balanced, and polar aligned the mount well.  Then I attached a guide scope.  I did NOT attach the cable from the guidescope to mount.  I also did not attach the mount to my computer.  This way I could watch stars drift and get an idea of was going on with just the mount.

I checked the CEM25's tracking rate, and it is set to sidereal.  LAT/LONG and perfect.  Time accurate.

Next, I watched stars drift on my laptop using PHD.

When the mount is turned on, and tracking turned ON - the stars move somewhat quickly in RA.  Like they are slewing slowly.

When I turn OFF the tracking (zero key) they still drift, but a little slower. 

When I turn off the power to the mount, of course the stars drift, but at slower rate still - normal sidereal rate.   When I turn the power back on the stars drift a little faster.  Turn the tracking back on, and they drift faster still.

But when I set the slew speed to 2x, and press and hold down the left arrow key, and the stars STOP drifting.  Perfect tracking.

Thanks for any advice!

CF

5 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

I'm really a beginner to GEM mounts, but my first thought was that Mabye you have the tracking set to the Southern Hemisphere?

The story so far supports this exactly - that's what I'd check first.

Archived