SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lambda Cygni - AN's August star of the month....

It would be interesting to see how small a scope can split Lambda Cygni at the moment: mags are 4.73 and 6.26. sep is 0.9 arcsec, PA 359 degrees. Quite a fast mover - 390 year orbit.

With my 180 Mak it is a beautiful pair with the secondary as a very bright pinpoint alongside the primary (a very close double itself), both a blueish white colour.

My 127 Mak (true aperture 119mm) splits it on a good night, but with some difficulty and certainly not as cleanly as the 180 Mak.

Anyone split it with smaller refractors??

Chris

• Like 7

Could give it a try at silly power with the Tak I guess Chris. Should try with the C925 too, it's one I've never split. It will probably end up as another Zeta Herc i.e. One I've never split!

Thanks for the post, must get out there again soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Could give it a try at silly power with the Tak I guess Chris. Should try with the C925 too, it's one I've never split. It will probably end up as another Zeta Herc i.e. One I've never split!

Thanks for the post, must get out there again soon.

Should be easy with the C9.25 if properly collimated,  say at 300 times mag. 

Chris

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Should be easy with the C9.25 if properly collimated,  say at 300 times mag. 

Chris

Will give it a try. My collimation does need a tweet, it is not bad, but not spot on and I know that makes a big difference with SCTs

• Like 1

I had a crack at the Lambda Cygni double star tonight and failed to split it. I have to admit that I had a bit of a defeatist attitude approaching the target after reading that the separation was only 0.9". The best I can say is that the star didn't look exactly round at 200x magnification. Quite a nice looking blueish star to my eyes. Conditions were pretty good as well  - good transparency.

Edited by David Levi
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

4 years on ........

I got a nice split of Lambda Cygni tonight with my 130mm refractor at 300x. Almost a touching pair but just that sliver of black between them to allow the "split" box to be ticked :icon_biggrin:

This one makes Zeta Herculis seem somewhat easy. Got that one tonight as well.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...