Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Optics CF 80mm APO

I may be in danger of abusing my privilege as a member of SGL with repeated questions about refractors but after months of thinking big I've come back to reality and decided to go for something I can actually afford.

Is this my final choice?  I think I'd better ask the audience.  Does anyone have any negative comments on this TS Model, please?  It would go on my Celestron AVX mount.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p9520_TS-Optics-Photoline-80-mm-f-6-25-Triplet-FPL53-Apo---Carbon---2-5--Auszug.html

The aluminium version does not come with a case as standard, as far as I can establish, so the final cost of the CF version would be about €200 more than the alu version with the optional case added.

Thanks as ever for all responses.

You've probably googled for reviews and searched astrobin. If nothing has convinced you and change your mind, just press the 'buy' button.

Good luck, however you decide.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

You've probably googled for reviews and searched astrobin. If nothing has convinced you and change your mind, just press the 'buy' button.

Good luck, however you decide.

I've been driving myself crackers for weeks, Wim. Have decided to go with the alu tube.  A supplier has offered me a discount and free delivery.  Order should be placed tomorrow.  Some people say the carbon fibre is slower to aclimatise and the difference in weight is not great for the mount waiting for it.  I just wish I had any expectation of clear skies when it arrives but no prospect for at least ten days.  Thanks for your good wishes.

For an 80 mm scope, tube material shouldn't be much of an issue, as far as mechanics is concerned. And since the tube isn't heavy and is closed, cool down shouldn't be much of a problem either. It should stabalise during the time it takes to align, frame, focus and adjust guiding.

Have fun with your new scope, and don't forget to post images of and taken with it. :icon_biggrin:

I was in the same boat as you were but then my choice of the scope was based on a few things

(a) The focuser... It had to be a R&P

(b) The focal length... 350mm worked best for my camera. Placed everything nicely within the fov

(c) The focal ratio... Given the amount of clear nights we get per year, a faster scope was always better

(d) Choices of FF/FR... Well this was Optional but then it did play the part because the good FR/FR would bring the scope price up to a certain point so why not look for something that has a built in lens that will handle that and forget about any back focus issues. 

If you have these questions answered, then you've found the right scope. 

Hope this helps with the decision mate. 

11 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

I was in the same boat as you were but then my choice of the scope was based on a few things

(a) The focuser... It had to be a R&P

(b) The focal length... 350mm worked best for my camera. Placed everything nicely within the fov

(c) The focal ratio... Given the amount of clear nights we get per year, a faster scope was always better

(d) Choices of FF/FR... Well this was Optional but then it did play the part because the good FR/FR would bring the scope price up to a certain point so why not look for something that has a built in lens that will handle that and forget about any back focus issues. 

If you have these questions answered, then you've found the right scope. 

Hope this helps with the decision mate. 

Yes, it had to be oversize.  Torn between 2.5" R&P with TS and 3" hexfocus with ES.  FPL53 glass decided me

I'm using a borrowed Nikon which I have not had much chance to use with my other 'scope so nothing to go by, really.

Tell me about clear nights.  The last 12 months have probably seen three or four good nights a month.  Sod's Law, the best night this year a Scots friend called around in the afternoon with a bag of 9.6% beers and a bottle of Monkey Shoulder.  Saw plenty of stars, without a telescope, when I finally woke up.

Never thought about d.  That's a novice for you.

Have struck up a very good rapport with the dealer.  It's shipping today.  Thanks for the advice.

1 minute ago, Relpet said:

Yes, it had to be oversize.  Torn between 2.5" R&P with TS and 3" hexfocus with ES.  FPL53 glass decided me

I'm using a borrowed Nikon which I have not had much chance to use with my other 'scope so nothing to go by, really.

Tell me about clear nights.  The last 12 months have probably seen three or four good nights a month.  Sod's Law, the best night this year a Scots friend called around in the afternoon with a bag of 9.6% beers and a bottle of Monkey Shoulder.  Saw plenty of stars, without a telescope, when I finally woke up.

Never thought about d.  That's a novice for you.

Have struck up a very good rapport with the dealer.  It's shipping today.  Thanks for the advice.

Not a problem at all matey. Good luck with your purchase and lets see them pretty pictures coming from you :)

5 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Not a problem at all matey. Good luck with your purchase and lets see them pretty pictures coming from you :)

Do me best, guv, but I'm on a very steep learning curve with this.  As always, with SGL, I know where help is at hand.

Archived