Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi FC-100DC airline cabin portable

Having a week's break in Menorca - flew from UK this morning. And had no problems bringing my 4" Tak. This is the first time I've attempted such a feat - albeit with the aid of some very helpful advice from Stu - but it worked out very well. You just remove the dew shield and focuser - both simply unscrew, and the tube fits snugly in a Samsonite cabin case - about 55cm long if I remember correctly. Flew with Monarch - standard cabin restrictions apply, so would probably be the same with most other European airlines. So looking forward to some decent nights with Saturn, Scorpius and Sagittarius nicely positioned - and a much nicer telescope than I've ever taken abroad before. Will report back.

image.jpg

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice. Hope you get some great skies. I will be taking my APM 80mm F/6 as hand luggage this summer, and did the same with a Coronado SolarMax-II 60mm when I travelled to Malta. I have heard of someone taking a C8 OTA as cabin luggage, but that would be seriously pushing it.

Thanks Michael - correct me if I'm wrong but haven't you got the stargazing holiday to end all stargazing holidays next month? Solar eclipse trip to the US? 

• Like 1

Nice one Mark! Glad it worked out well for you, hoping to do likewise at some point soon, need to get some decent planetary views!

As you've seen before, here is mine all tucked up ready to go, complete with mount and eyepieces.

IMG_2700.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JG777 said:

Looks superb, which mount and tripod have you there sir? 

Thanks very much - it's a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod - model GT4552TS. It's superb. I needed something that was very lightweight for travel but also robust. Think this one is advertised as carrying a 25kg payload. It's what I use now for all my telescopes - handles a C8 well. New they are v expensive - out of my price range, but there was a big Gitzo sale at the end of last year and I picked it up for under half price from Parks Cameras in London. The mount head is a Giro Ercole mini. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice one Mark! Glad it worked out well for you, hoping to do likewise at some point soon, need to get some decent planetary views!

As you've seen before, here is mine all tucked up ready to go, complete with mount and eyepieces.

IMG_2700.JPG

Thanks Stu. And thanks for the initial inspiration - it's wonderful to have a 4" scope of such quality that can be taken anywhere - even with my dodgy back

• 3 years later...
On 20/07/2017 at 15:14, Stu said:

IMG_2700.JPG

Hey Stu, noticing you screwed off the focusing unit - is this easy/safe to do? Was thinking this might be a solution to making the DZ cabin portable too...(maybe just)?

1 hour ago, Luminated said:

Hey Stu, noticing you screwed off the focusing unit - is this easy/safe to do? Was thinking this might be a solution to making the DZ cabin portable too...(maybe just)?

Hi there. Yes, very easy to do. I replaced the original focuser with a Feathertouch and it was quite straightforward.

57 minutes ago, Luminated said:

Thanks. Noticeable improvement with the Feathertouch? I guess at high mag on a more portable tripod maybe? 

The Feathertouch is a lovely, if expensive, upgrade. It’s certainly capable of handling bigger loads than the Tak focuser. One thing to highlight about cabin portability is that the DC has a separate unscrewable section between the focuser and main tube (as shown in pics), which I notice the DZ does not. So am wondering if the DZ still might be too long for air travel, even with the focuser removed and dew shield retracted? 

8EFFC603-9879-437A-97FD-C920D954086C.jpeg

B8F7A2E7-28CB-4275-B97A-B846C9F1D4B8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Luminated said:

The focuser of the DZ is designed to unscrew. It’s easy to do. When you do that, the tube is 62cm long with the dew shield retracted 

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

The focuser of the DZ is designed to unscrew. It’s easy to do. When you do that, the tube is 62cm long with the dew shield retracted 

Thanks Jeremy. My assumption was based on a "speculative" comment from Cloudy Nights using the retail quoted length "With the dew shield retracted and accessories removed...total length..595 mm.." and then deducting I guess a further 60mm (focuser?) to make it cabin portable...

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/667850-new-takahashi-fc-100-dz-f8/page-9

If you remove the focuser the DZ is 21” (534mm) long with the dew shield collapsed.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-fc-100-series-refractor-telescopes/tak_tfk10310.html

A case of Tak fever it seems... ;)

Bingo! Thanks John I did read this a while back...my drool must have obscured the following sentence:

Unthread the visual back and you get down to 595mm, but you’ll need to unthread the focuser to make the FC-100DZ carry-on portable at just 540mm

....that leaves <10mm for some assiduous padding :)))