Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Summer Triangle - Two Whirligigs and a Monster

You perhaps weren't expecting a 4-panel mosaic with a total exposure time of 32 seconds (4x8s), but here you go.

35783494232_ed113171f4_k.jpg

I wanted something to show people where to look for this asterism, hence the need to fit the landscape in to give some sense of scale. This was taken with my Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens and Canon 700D on the 8th July at 10:40 PM (assuming the clock on my camera isn't an hour out). A nearly full Moon is just out of shot at lower-right. Here's the approximate field of view from Stellarium:

summer-triangle-and-constellations_1.jpg

I converted the RAW files to .tiff (because of this quirk), stitched the frames together in Microsoft ICE and adjusted the curves slightly. I added artificial diffraction spikes using Noel's Actions (hope no-one is offended by them) so that the asterism doesn't get lost when viewed on a small screen - the size of the spikes is proportional to the magnitude of the three stars, Vega, Altair and Deneb. I've written a short article about them if anyone is interested: The Summer Triangle - Two Whirligigs and a Monster.

Would be interested to hear what people make of this effort.

Great Image, and 3 of my best mates!

I'd have big trouble without these stars as i always use at least 2 of them to set up my GOTO. as I face SE when viewing with my house directly behind me, plus i have 7 x 100ft staggered popular trees going east to south in my view below 40deg.

1 hour ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I'm sure that's from a song, but my memory is letting me down here.

Whats that coming over the hill, is it a monster? Is it a Monster?!? I think it was "The Automatic"

Archived