SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1.25" distancing rings / spacers?

Does anyone have any idea where to get such a thing?

I've seen 2" / T2 distancing ring being sold but never 1.25". I'm not talking about parfocalizing rings here, I'm talking about 0.5mm - 1mm shims, spacers or whatever that are used with threads to adjust the distance.

It can be metal one, it can be nylon one (Baader has nylon ones for 2" I think), it is not really important since it will not be load bearing, but it needs to be thin (ideally less than 1mm so I can use multiple to get the spacing right).

I've got TS 1.25" filter drawer, and the clearance is really tight. Drawer itself has 3mm deep thread to screw in filter that is open on the other side, so if filter thread is longer than 3mm (and all of my filters are) it sticks out on the other side which makes it impossible to insert drawer into housing - part of filter thread that is sticking out is hitting drawer housing when I try to insert the drawer itself.

Drawer casing has the same problem - it has T2 thread that is 3mm deep, and if I screw in anything with male T2 thread longer than 3mm it will protrude into inside, into drawer space and block it from being inserted, but this I've easily solved with T2 distancing rings.

I just need something similar for 1.25" filters / filter thread to sort out "inner problem".

Maybe I could cut it out myself out of some material (suggestions welcome), something like overhead projector transparent sheets (it has some thickness to it, and stiffness also, but I'm not sure I want to by the whole stack of it just to use single one to cut out spacers)?

I have exactly that problem with a 1.25" filter adapter for a 2" Baader UFC filter slide.  I was near the point of giving up and buying some 2" filters.  Suggestions also encouraged, then!

1mm metal-spacers? MallinCam in Canada used to have such for adding distance for for whatever reasons one had - like fine-tuning fancy focal-reducers. I have a collection. They had 1mm and many other sizes, too. Care to venture a look to see if such is still about?

http://www.mallincam.net/

Not sure if this is what you mean exactly. When and if you do find what you're looking for, could you post an image so I'll know, please?

Happy Hunting,

Dave

11 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

1mm metal-spacers? MallinCam in Canada used to have such for adding distance for for whatever reasons one had - like fine-tuning fancy focal-reducers. I have a collection. They had 1mm and many other sizes, too. Care to venture a look to see if such is still about?

http://www.mallincam.net/

Not sure if this is what you mean exactly. When and if you do find what you're looking for, could you post an image so I'll know, please?

Happy Hunting,

Dave

Just had a look in products section, they don't seem to have those anymore, or I was unable to find them.

This is what I mean by distancing / spacer rings:

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/m68-spacer-ring-1mm-(gold).html

or

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-t-2-adjustmentspacer-rings.html

But as you see, they are available in different formats, but not 1.25"

12 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

if you carnt find any, you could buy a cheap filter and take the glass outa it, or am I barking up the wrong tree. charl.

I don't think that would help, there is however option to by low profile cells and just transfer filter glass to low profile cells, but unfortunately I have no idea how long the 1.25" thread is on low profile cells. I don't have problem with cell height - normal cells fit just fine inside filter drawer (it has at least 8mm space for cell itself, so no problem there), it is the length of the thread that is the issue, and while low profile cells are available (not the cheapest of solutions) no info is given on thread length.

Maybe following diagram would help understand the problem:

Screenshot_2.png.183fbdd604b74083a79e918e6ee1f887.png

It is the side view of drawer box and filter drawer (up is telescope side, down is camera side, drawer slides into box "from right to left"), and filter drawer fits tightly into the box, so if 1.25" male thread is sticking out when fully screwed in - if will prevent drawer from sliding in.

I had a similar problem in finding some spacers for different things, and no one had a clue. So I looked in the advertisements in the back of my local telephone-book for a machine-shop and machinist. Found a promising looking one.

I was concerned it would cost me a fortune! But my concerns were unfounded - he wanted very little little money for my first job. I gave him a good tip on top! Turns out he loves his work so all odd and esoteric parts he make is what he loves. So maybe you can look into a machinist & shop around your area - if all else fails.

Thank you for the clarification and diagram - it's heading to my 'Miles-O'-Files' now, in the "How-To & Fixes" section!

Dave

Archived