Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More DIY Bahtinov Testing.

StuartJPP

Following on from a previous thread, I engraved the largest Bahtinov Mask that my little miller/engraver could handle, just large enough for my 500mm lens hood (although the aperture of the lens is 125mm the hood is ~150mm in diameter).

The results seem quite good on a real star (Arcturus and Dubhe) but there is a funky rainbow effect happening, though this doesn't seem to be an issue in reality. What I liked about the diffraction spikes was that even in live view they were really large and it is easy to focus even by hand. I will try APT's Bahtinov grabber next time, but I am sure it will be okay. I compared it to my previous Bahtinov mask which can be seen in the images below. All exposure times were the same and the images are zoomed to 100%.

The one on the right is an 82mm step up ring version.
125mmvs_77mm_NewBahtinov.thumb.png.51dcd01ddf73285a3b390ed249ea48e0.png

The two pegs make mounting very easy.
125mmMounted.thumb.png.ff474dce011dcef724dd0102e81f0a31.png

My previous Bahtinov Mask.
OldBahtinov.thumb.JPG.15a6bf3dd00f5bc98dd85a5c9bff7110.JPG

The two compared, taken within a couple of seconds of each other (100% crop, 1/4sec exposure at ISO6400 on Canon 5D Mark III, 500mm f/4. Left-hand is my old Bahtinov Mask and the right-hand one is the new one, lets in a lot more light:
OriginalBahtinov_vs_NewBahtinov.thumb.png.f57da9e8f268fdcad489dd0c31e125fa.png

The custom software to design the mask and cut it on the engraver/miller:
125mmBahtinovDesign.thumb.png.90538c43fb3b894856b5957d0c924cf2.png

Quite pleased with the result, but it may need tweaking.

On a side note, I tried my previous "Y-mask", but it performed dismally, even on Arcturus. Using it with a fake star it performs as well as, if not better than the old Bahtinov mask but not on a real star...not sure what is happening there, I can only conclude that my fake star is much, much brighter than an actual star.

I'd like some masks for my various prime lenses (14mm, 24mm, 85mm).

The shorter the fl the harder it is to get a diffraction pattern of course, but magic lantern and live view should help at 10x magnification. 

My 6d will allow iso 25600 and is great for framing so perhaps a b mask will work?

I'd be happy to purchase a set if you have the time?

Perhaps you could bulk buy some filter rings for various sizes and make a small bit of profit for your time?

Archived