SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does anywhere sell a tabletop mount?

Hello there, I've managed to knacker my back, which isn't the end of the world but I'm trying to get into sketching too - so I was hoping to move my setup to the patio table for convenience (sw mak 127), but am struggling to find anyone that actually sells table top mounts on their own (alt az, EQ, don't care!) have an eq3 already, was hoping not to have to fork out for a whole new scope just to get the mount it's attached to!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Astroboot sometimes have a heritage 130p dob base in. That would easy take your mak though mounting would be better if it has a dove bar.

The Heritage mini-dob was my first thought too. I've used a 102 Mak on one and my TS80, when it had its original 1.25" focuser on it. The 127Mak, though compact is quite heavy and I thought it would be a bit marginal but Geof has clearly managed it! It would be interesting to hear how stable it is at higher magnifications.

17 hours ago, Mr niall said:

Hello there, I've managed to knacker my back, which isn't the end of the world but I'm trying to get into sketching too - so I was hoping to move my setup to the patio table for convenience (sw mak 127), but am struggling to find anyone that actually sells table top mounts on their own (alt az, EQ, don't care!) have an eq3 already, was hoping not to have to fork out for a whole new scope just to get the mount it's attached to!

I have a Skywatcher 130 Heritage on the way in the next few days, I am planning to use the OTA on my mini Giro so was not planning on using the altaz base. I think I'd like to just get it first and have a play before I commit to selling the base, but if you are still looking for something, say end of next week, then drop me a PM and we can have a chat. :) 

17 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I have a Skywatcher 130 Heritage on the way in the next few days, I am planning to use the OTA on my mini Giro so was not planning on using the altaz base. I think I'd like to just get it first and have a play before I commit to selling the base, but if you are still looking for something, say end of next week, then drop me a PM and we can have a chat. :) 

Thanks would be interested.

I guess the finder carrier is metal. I had previously googled the weight of the 127 mak and it was less than the heritage maybe that was the base OTA and no finder.

If it helps I have had my heritage 130p on that mount with a 495gram camera so just over 4 kilos. The mount is pretty rock steady.

The 127 Mak and 130p are, clearly, of similar weight, and have OTAs of similar diameter. The centre-of-gravity of both sits roughly above the azimuth-axis bolt, so maintaining azimuth stability. With the OTA's dovetail at the balanced position in the clamp, the altitude axis brake only needs a light application to hold everything rock-steady. I have also made a few additions to the mount to make it more user-friendly.

59704a76a744c_130pMountadditions.thumb.jpg.38eb60381fc30f7a997d5ac975badb84.jpg

Geoff

18 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Not sure a table top eq1 could take the weight of the mak 127mm. As a comparison the ST80 that can come with that mount weighs approx just 1.3 kilo. Might be one to check with a trust worthy supplier.

Yes I think you may be right, but I quite like the idea of the 90 mak as a travel scope, it looks pocket sized!

The EQ1 is  quite spindly.  I wonder whether this would work for you. I had a Mak 102 on a photo  tripod which made for a very portable set up. I have just mounted the 127 Mak in similar fashion and this is JUST FOR ILLUSTRATION  and WOULD NOT (!) use the127 Mak this way as its considerably heavier than the Mak 102. I could use the little Mak on the photo tripod with legs extended and with the ball head it would hold it OK even pointed up at the zenith.  Not an ideal set up with a Mak, a proper astro mount is inevitably better (and heavier and bulkier) but its usable.  The photo tripod is one I got from Amazon  and similar to this one which was bought to mount binos.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravelli-APGL3-Professional-66-inch-centimeters/dp/B002IFPY2O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500729744&sr=1-1&keywords=Ravelli+photo+tripod)

The tripod legs click stop at  several angles, so as in the picture, with legs at shortest you could have it a low level, or what ever level, to suit.  Likewise A 90mm Mak would mount on a  decent photo tripod, no problem.

Apologies for rubbish blurry photo but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about!

127 Mak on phototripod.jpg

Archived