Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pelican SHO from WO Star 71 Dual Rig

gnomus

Back in early June, I collected 5 and a bit hours of Ha using my dual WO Star 71 Rig - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/295500-pelican-in-ha-first-real-test-of-dual-rig/. The plan was to collect 5 hours of each of SII and OIII to go with the Ha. I got 3 hours of each (simultaneously) by the end of June and since then the weather has not played ball. So, I decided to go ahead and process what I had. Those Star 71s give a good wide field.

• This is WO STar 71 x 2
  • Moravian G2-8300 x2
  • Mix of Astrodon and Chroma filters
  • Ha 5hours 20 minutes
  • OIII 3 hours
  • SII - 3 hours

That's 11 hours 20 mins total:

05_FIN_1920.thumb.jpg.89803acaa93583224650e710e1b1f2cb.jpg

i wont disagree with anyone :wink: its a great image no matter how its view'd  top notch as you would expect from Steve and the dual riggers (wait a minute i have a pair of them at work ?

great image Steve

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

......but I think the Pelican has to be beak horizontal!!! Well, you know, pointing down a bit. Oh dear, I'm already floundering...

I don't care which way up the Pelican goes (in fact I think mine is well and truly the wrong way around!) I was thinking more of the image from a compositional point of view. Our eyes naturally go from bottom left to top right and when the image is in landscape there's quite a void in the bottom left hand of the image........ so there's no natural follow on of leading lines... whereas if it was in the landscape the eye would be drawn along the bottom line from the left and then upwards towards the Pelican and area of interest on the right... incidentally not even sitting a million miles away from the 2/3rds line :) 

Just my take on the composition and how I think it would flow more naturally as a landscape...... but ignore me totally..... I know nothing :) And certainly not enough to be taken any notice of :D 

Thanks everyone for their kind comments.  

15 hours ago, swag72 said:

That's a nice FOV Steve - I think I would present it horizontally as it would seem more comfortable to the viewer. The data looks good as does the colours - It looks very delicate :) 

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Super. Really just that.

I don't normally disagree with Sara in public (:icon_mrgreen:) but I think the Pelican has to be beak horizontal!!! Well, you know, pointing down a bit. Oh dear, I'm already floundering...

Olly

Yikes - is this the SGL equivalent of a 'Twitter fight'?  I must say that it would seem odd to me to have the Pelican Pterodactyl any way up but upright, but I am willing to experiment.  Sara: did you mean beak up:

beakup.thumb.jpg.a5ca14f205f7f3d5f63e8ddf887536d8.jpg

or beak down?

beakdown.thumb.jpg.74696362c8651d58b61fd84a63cb3520.jpg

'Original' for comparison - And what do folks reckon to the colours in the new version?

regular.thumb.jpg.ed904487187009fdfcc39ab7eeabab98.jpg

9 minutes ago, swag72 said:

For me Steve the fist edit that you posted hits the nail on the head perfectly :) I have no idea what bit the beak is, so whether it's up or down, I don't know!!! 

The beak:

beak.thumb.jpg.dac546b06300b948cb079137de539c57.jpg

2 hours ago, gnomus said:

The beak:

beak.thumb.jpg.dac546b06300b948cb079137de539c57.jpg

Excellent! 

A remarkable bird is the pelican.

Its beak can hold more than its bellycan!

I think it's very true that the orientation can greatly affect the way we see an image. Sometimes change for change's sake can be refreshing.

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Excellent! 

A remarkable bird is the pelican.

Its beak can hold more than its bellycan!

I think it's very true that the orientation can greatly affect the way we see an image. Sometimes change for change's sake can be refreshing.

Olly

If I recall this is at least your second foray into poetry in recent weeks.  Is there anything we can do to help?  

Archived