Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen SG 2.1x42 Binocular Review

The Japanese-made Vixen SG 2.1x42 binocular with it's ultra-low 2.1x magnification, 42mm objectives and Galilean optics it created quite a stir when it was released three years ago.

Unfortunately it's quirky nature means it is often overlooked by regular binocular review sites. Shortly after it was launched Matthew Hodgson (DirkSteele here at SGL) reviewed one for his Alpha Lyrae website but there has been little else since then, until now :smile: 

Professor Ian Morison recently purchased a Vixen SG 2.1x42 binocular and has written a detailed review for his Astronomy Digest website. 

vixen_SG2_1x42.jpg

Good to see more reviews appearing of this unique product!  It still remains one of my favourite astro-product launches of the last few years.  While they are incredible under very dark skies (like Namibia where I first put them through their paces and was the basis for the review), they are really useful and still fun to use even under light polluted UK skies.

Just looked at my own statistics of the review of the SGs.  Almost 10,500 views since publication, with the average time on the page a few seconds shy of six minutes.  Ask any webmaster about dwell time on a page, and you are doing well if you get 60 seconds.  So I guess quite a few people have certainly shown some interest in these binoculars.  Hopefully a new review only aids the interest as they deserve to sell really well.

56 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

thay must be the ultimate in widefield binos, I get a good view of the MW here in dark south wales, I can imagine how amazing it would look through those, deff food for thought. charl.

.....a few minutes drive out of town here, and the skies are stunning on Moonless Winter nights, you could get lost in the sea of stars, even the major constellations are consumed? but it's not something I complain about, just wish my garden was under the same patch of sky, away from the street lights. 
I was given the opportunity to try these out at the Widescreen centre when I was last in London, impressive wide field, felt like a pigeon walking down the street such was the width? sadly though, untested under the stars. As you say Charl.  they will be most impressive under the right conditions.
At present though, my astronomy shopping list  has only one item, some Oberwerk Ultra 15x70's.

I have one of these. It takes a bit of use to get "normal" binocular views out of your head as first impressions are a narrow apparent FOV but enormous actual field of view, the opposite of previous experience. There is a big thread concerning these on CN, worth reading for the diverse opinions.  :icon_biggrin:

I've owned a pair of these (supplied by Vixen to try out with the proviso I could return them if they didn't meet my needs) and Peter's pair.

I have to say that I didn't really get on with them at all, but on the other hand I know a couple of people who have them and are delighted with them.  I think anyone trying them will either love them, or perhaps wonder what all the fuss is about.  I don't think these views are contrary, it depends on the individual.

I would consider it is essential to try them out beforehand if anyone is seriously considering buying a pair. Purchasing a pair on someone's recommendation or after reading a review really doesn't do it. You need to try them out to see if they are what you want.

17 hours ago, paulastro said:

I have to say that I didn't really get on with them at all, but on the other hand I know a couple of people who have them and are delighted with them.  

I thought that I was in a minority of one! I couldn't get on with them either and I don't have them any more (long story! ) . It can be difficult to 'try before you buy' but I agree that, if possible, you should, if you are thinking of acquiring a pair. 

19 hours ago, paulastro said:

You need to try them out to see if they are what you want.

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

It can be difficult to 'try before you buy' but I agree that, if possible, you should, if you are thinking of acquiring a pair. 

All our binoculars are covered by our 30-day return policy so you can take your time testing them, in daylight and under a night sky :bino2:

Anyone following our customer-return clearance offers will know the return rate for this model is very low. 

I was forgetting about FLO's excellent return policy, although I don't like returning things unless they are faulty because the retailer then loses out. I also wanted to really give them a good go in various situations. 

I accept that most users are delighted with them. They just didn't seem to suit me. 

On 7/19/2017 at 15:56, paulastro said:

I've owned a pair of these (supplied by Vixen to try out with the proviso I could return them if they didn't meet my needs) and Peter's pair.

I have to say that I didn't really get on with them at all, but on the other hand I know a couple of people who have them and are delighted with them.  I think anyone trying them will either love them, or perhaps wonder what all the fuss is about.  I don't think these views are contrary, it depends on the individual.

I would consider it is essential to try them out beforehand if anyone is seriously considering buying a pair. Purchasing a pair on someone's recommendation or after reading a review really doesn't do it. You need to try them out to see if they are what you want.

I think that is very true.  Binoculars seem to be a far more personal preference thing than a telescope for example.  One astronomers gold is another's trash.  Most people I have let borrow mine really enjoy them and a fair few have gone on to buy a pair but certainly not everyone.

Archived