Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
dwayne dias

Building a go to system as an upgrade for my home built mount

Hi once again...

After spending a year with the mount i built i managed to gather some info about go to systems.

I am in my final year of mechanical engineering and will be displaying the mount as my project....but will b dding a go to system to it.

I will b getting help from the information technology team to programme the mount.

What i learnt is that you can control the telescope motion through stellarium using a raspberry pi microprocessor, a bluetooth dongle and potentiometers for motion sensing. I seen this video on youtube and will share tge link...if someone could rell me if this same setup would work on an equitorial mount??? For example...can the alt and az co ordinates be swapd with tge co ordinates of RA abd DEC...???

You can find the video on youtube...by searching

Telescope + raspberry pi + stellarium =itelescope

In principle, controlling an AZ mount is more complicated than controlling an EQ mount. In the case of an alt-az mount, you need the current latitude and local sidereal time to convert RA and DEC into Alt-Az coordinates (although Stellarium will do that for you). With a properly polar-aligned EQ mount you only need local sidereal time to get the conversion from RA to current hour angle right. In practice, polar alignment will be imperfect, so corrections are needed, but if there is code that can provide an alt-az mount with go-to, an EQ mount should be doable as well (just tell the software it is an alt-az mount on, or close to, the north pole

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CowsonConcrete
      Hi,
      Here's a quick shot of last night's moon.
      I've broken the crayford on my SkyWatcher 130pds so had to hold the focuser tube to get it sharp. Not ideal but I'm pleased with the result. 
      Àny ideas how I can add more colour without affecting the detail?
      Thanks

• By thehappypleiades
      Hi, newbie here! I’m hoping to get some advice on some star-gazing binoculars. I’ve read through the forum and I’ve decided to stay away from zoom bino’s because I’m just starting out, and I will eventually look into telescopes and whatnot if I wish to see the skies in more detail! 

So I’ve pretty much settled on something between 8 x 42 and 10 x 50. Please let me know the best ones in this range!!! 
      I’ve read some reviews on the Helios Lightquest HR 10x50’s so any advice on those would be great too! I’m open to suggestions but what I’m really hoping to get is a sturdy pair of first binoculars that I can keep around for the long run, and hopefully drag around on many adventures. I’m willing to invest in a tripod as well for focused gazing, although I plant to keep them around my neck for a while so I can get used to them! 

I’m also unsure of how to find a great lightweight tripod so any links would be great! Love the forum so far and I’m excited to start observing the skies!

Happy Stargazing,
      thehappypleiades
    • By Akmcf
      Hi guys! 🙂
      My name is Andrew, I only just stumbled across these forums just now! Couldn’t have come across a better community to help me with some questions I have!

So I’ve Come to the conclusion that I’m going to be buying a Celestron Nexstar 6SE telescope everything about it appeals to me. I currently own a much older manual celestron telescope and am ready for my first proper telescope!
      I do plenty of photography and own a DSLR and am aware that with this telescope that it comes with a software that will record video of what you’re gazing at and stack the images if I’m correct?
      because I’m familiar with normal photography and not so much with Astro photography I was wondering if anyone could help me out. For the stocking software, is that all the process completed within the telescope and no DSLR? Or is that recorded with the DSL are and then the software stacks? What kind of adapters would I need to be getting into AP? By the way I’m looking at mainly photographing the moon and hopefully get some awesome shots of the other planets too! 😄 not so much deep AP, as from my research I’ve gathered that this isn’t the greatest for it... anyways.

Is it better to use a DSLR and an adapter on the eyepiece for imaging? Or the stacking and what would I need for best result stacking images, especially of planets like Saturn and Jupiter?! Are the individual eyepiece attachments you buy for the telescope, cameras in themselves? What is aci?  I’ve got no clue! Haha a lot to learn!

I thought I was on the right track looking by myself for equipment and I came across the 10MP celestron Neximage eyepiece or whatever it is? I’m not entirely sure? And also what is a T ring? Is that a Dslr adapter? Does the stacking software come with the telescope or with additional purchases?!
      Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Obviously I’m very excited to get going and am very keen on getting some equipment! Any answers are much appreciated!
      Have a great day!

Andrew
    • By Giedrius05
      Dear colleagues,
      I am new in astronomy and got my SkyWatcher Star Discovery 150Pi WiFi AZ GoTo, however I am experiencing one big problem. When I try to align my telescope using SynScan Pro app on laptop or smartphone the telescope always points wrong direction. I do not have hand controller.
      I set telescope north using compass, enter latitude and longitude, but when try to align 1 star or 2 stars, telescope spins way, way off. When the star is in the South East it shows north east, or sometimes points absolutely wrong direction. When it is set on the north and object is 98 degrees east it goes some 30 degrees. It also points lower or higher.
      I am totally lost.
      I use 8 AA batteries.
      What I do wrong?
      How to fix this?
      Thank you.

• By AntHart
      Hi,
       I’m looking for a hard protective case for my EQ6 pro mount for when I’m transporting it. 
      Just for the mount ‘head’...not weight and tripod.
      Anyone have any recommendations?
      Also, as a massive favour, anyone who has this mount...would you please be able to measure it for me (LxWxH)...I don’t have my mount at home at the moment.
      id imagine it’s roughly the same size as the EQ6-R / NEQ6.
      If anyone can help me out I’d appreciate it no end  
      Ant

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.