Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Building a go to system as an upgrade for my home built mount

dwayne dias

Hi once again...

After spending a year with the mount i built i managed to gather some info about go to systems.

I am in my final year of mechanical engineering and will be displaying the mount as my project....but will b dding a go to system to it.

I will b getting help from the information technology team to programme the mount.

What i learnt is that you can control the telescope motion through stellarium using a raspberry pi microprocessor, a bluetooth dongle and potentiometers for motion sensing. I seen this video on youtube and will share tge link...if someone could rell me if this same setup would work on an equitorial mount??? For example...can the alt and az co ordinates be swapd with tge co ordinates of RA abd DEC...???

You can find the video on youtube...by searching

Telescope + raspberry pi + stellarium =itelescope

In principle, controlling an AZ mount is more complicated than controlling an EQ mount. In the case of an alt-az mount, you need the current latitude and local sidereal time to convert RA and DEC into Alt-Az coordinates (although Stellarium will do that for you). With a properly polar-aligned EQ mount you only need local sidereal time to get the conversion from RA to current hour angle right. In practice, polar alignment will be imperfect, so corrections are needed, but if there is code that can provide an alt-az mount with go-to, an EQ mount should be doable as well (just tell the software it is an alt-az mount on, or close to, the north pole

Archived