SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Image train

Can anyone tell me in advance what problems I may encounter using this set up. I.E. Focusing problems and has anyone else used this with any success . My aim is to get closer to M51 as with just the DSLR it looks lonely on the image. Many thanks in advance........Geoff

WP_20170718_13_58_51_Pro.jpg

Using a Barlow is not really recommended in DSO imaging. If this is used on the SW 200p on EQ5 mount, you are working at F/10 (or 2m focal length). This has two important problems: (a) your exposure time needs to be increased by a factor of four; (b) your tracking or guiding errors are magnified by a factor of 2. Even the EQ6 is generally rated as capable of guiding scopes of up to 1m focal length or thereabouts reliably. You might be able to get some good subs, but many will not look good. I have only rarely used my Celestron C8  (8" F/10) for DSO imaging, and always with a focal reducer to get to a much more workable F/6.3. The C8 then has the added advantage that its compact build makes guiding easier, and the Vixen GP mount it is sitting on is sturdier than the EQ5 (which is a clone, but the engineering on the GP mount is considered to be better).

Archived