SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope transporter case

Luna-tic

I' a newcomer returning to skywatching; sometimes the star parties aren't in a parking lot, and toting the equipment to a suitable spot can mean a few trips from the car. I don't know how most people do it; I'm 63, and whatever I can do to make life easier, I'm all for. I wanted to make something I could store my telescope, mount and tripod in, as well as have something I could use to protect it when transporting it, and make it easier to get to the viewing site. I came up with a box,  22"x38"x12", compartmented for the tripod, mount and telescope, and padded to protect the sensitive components. It has a handle at one end, wheels at the other, with feet so it can stand up or lay flat. The doors on front clamshell and have retaining straps, as well as hasps so the contents can be locked up (sure, just steal the whole thing by carrying it away). My small case with my eyepieces and camera adapters fits on top with a strap to hold it in place. When I get to my viewing site, I can just lay it flat, open up, and unload everything, setting up the system as I go. It's plenty strong enough to use as a seat as well. I made it from 3/4" oak plywood, stained it and finished it with polyurethane. I used foam rubber cut and glued, and covered with fabric, to fit the telescope and mount, and added retaining straps with buckles so nothing could shift while moving it. There is enough extra space within the compartments to put odd pieces like my notebook, battery pack for the RA drive, and a large trash bag to use as a rain cover if that becomes necessary. My dew shield fits nicely around the tripod. Seeing the extra space available, I plan to make a small shelf above the tripod, and make a lift-out tray that will fit over the tripod. There is enough space available in the telescope compartment to upgrade to a C8 (that's a C6), if I modify the padding a bit. It all press-fits.  I spent most of a week, afternoons and evenings plus a long weekend, cutting, assembling and finishing the box. It also has grab handles all around so two people can lift it in or out of a vehicle, plus I can use the handles to hang stuff while at the viewing site. Fully loaded, it weighs about 70 lbs.

So, what do you think?

DSC_0362.JPG

DSC_0366.JPG

DSC_0369.JPG

DSC_0363.JPG

I think it's an intelligent method to carry everything rapidly. I like your wood work, it looks like heavy duty quality. Always nice to look at fully custom invention (: Nice clear paint on nice wood, with wheels and everything. I try to cut on transportation too, the less trips, the better.

But take care of your back if you have to lift it alone in your car.

:icon_biggrin:

Nice Job and a neat solution to a common problem.

A couple of small ramps made from aluminium channel would make car transport a one man operation. 

The ramps can be hinged in the middle to make them shorter. 

10 hours ago, mapstar said:

A couple of small ramps made from aluminium channel would make car transport a one man operation. 

Ahead of you there, friend,  my pickup sits rather far off the ground, so I have a set of ramps for it. My wife's minivan is lower and I can just lay it on the back and slide it in, and the sedan I sometimes use, I can lay it on the side and slide it in the back seat. My normal  mode of transportation........well, it's not much bigger than the telescope box (Mazda MX-5). Maybe I should have put a full carriage under it with a motor and steering, just ride it to the skywatching.:icon_biggrin:

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 15:23, Stub Mandrel said:

Tempting to copy you...

It's an easy enough build, if you have a table saw. The entire box is from slightly less than a full sheet of 3/4" plywood. To simplify construction, all connections are simple butt joints, glued together and 1-1/2" brass wood screws. Sorry the dimensions are not metric, but most of us Yanks still think in inches. The actual size of your construct will probably vary from mine due to whatever your specific equipment is and whatever extra space you want for accessories. I chose my dimensions by laying my tripod, mount, and OTA on the floor in as compact a shape as possible, and then allowing what I considered enough space to provide padding for the mount and OTA.

A simpler container would have no wheels or handles or feet, just the compartments and a securable lid. Then a basic hand truck could be used, with the box strapped in place.

3 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

It's an easy enough build, if you have a table saw.

I'm not afraid to set to with a hardpoint panel saw :laugh:

I'm not quite at your standard, but I made this display unit, the wheel and handle fold inside.

Testing_with_an_extreme_load.JPG

• 3 months later...

Archived