Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

16-07-2017 Observing Report

Chefgage

Heres my report from observing on the 16th - 17th July from 23:30 to 02:00 with a modded Skywatcher skyliner 200p.

This was the proper first time using the modded 200p detailed here 

M57 - Ring Nebula      

Looking straight at the ring nebula showed it to be a faint round smudge with a hint of a ring.  Using averted vision showed a clearer ring.

M31 - Andrometer galaxy    

Again using averted vision showed more of a recognised shape with a visably brighter core.

NGC 869 and NGC 884 - Double cluster    

Two distinct clusters could be seen, with a large amount of visable individual stars of varying brightness

Mizar -   Split this double star.

M3 -   Globular Cluster

Faint and fuzzy, with averted vision could just make out a couple of stars

M13 - Great hercules cluster

Through the 10mm eye piece it was a mass of stars, this was with looking straight at it, no averted vision required.

Epsilon Lyrae - The double double

Not been able to split both the doubles before. Tonight through the 4mm eyepiece four stars could clearly be seen.

M27 - Dumbbell nebula 

Through the 10mm eyepiece the dumbbell shape could just be made out, more of the shape showing using averted vision.

Albireo

Just to finish of the night I visited Albireo as it always makes me smile seeing the two different coloured stars blue and gold.

12 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Nice report. Sounds like you had a good night. Were you using a UHC filter on the ring and dumbbell? They will reveal more if you use one.

keep the reports coming...

No filters were used (i only have a standard light pollution one).

I am looking to purchase a UHC filter at some point.  I have been struggling to find DSO's by star hopping due to the fact many of the stars in recognised constillations are not visible in my area. Now with the modifications to the 200p are complete i can now find and observe some galaxies, nebula, glusters etc.. so a filter or two is definetly on the next shopping list :)

A very nice report Chefgage, sounds like an enjoyable session. I find with globs in scope which is barely resolving them, if you oook directly at them then flick your eye towards the edge of the field, it really helps me resolve the individual stars. Worth a try anyway.

As Alan says, keep the reports coming, they are great to read especially as I'm not getting any observing in myself currently.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

A very nice report Chefgage, sounds like an enjoyable session. I find with globs in scope which is barely resolving them, if you oook directly at them then flick your eye towards the edge of the field, it really helps me resolve the individual stars. Worth a try anyway.

As Alan says, keep the reports coming, they are great to read especially as I'm not getting any observing in myself currently.

I will give that a try.  Hopefully now i am sorted regards being able to find more objects the reports should keep coming. I plan on focusing on maybe two or three objects per session, that way i can maybe tease out a bit more detail and then do a sketch or two :)

I was using the 'tonights best' list on skysafari. I was that excited about finding the first couple on the list I just kept going on and on :) not really taking the time to appreciate each one.

19 hours ago, alan potts said:

What a lovely list of classic objects there that you managed to see, weather is not being kind to me at the moment. For me M31 is always better in my 10.5 x 70 binos that in my scopes.

Alan

Looking to get some binoculars for when we go camping a couple of times each year. We take that much stuff now there is no room for my smaller scope.  I remember the first time at a campsite with truly dark skies looking at saturn through a very small refractor :) compared to the view through light polluted skies. I would love to take my 8" reflector when we go camping.

So  the binoculars it is :) 

On 20/7/2017 at 00:18, Chefgage said:

binoculars for when we go camping

I took by Celestron 20x80s camping for the first time this year. They loved it (lol). It was in Connemara with beautifu,l though not very dark skies. Stupid summer. Camping binoculars are the best.

2 hours ago, elliot said:

I took by Celestron 20x80s camping for the first time this year. They loved it (lol). It was in Connemara with beautifu,l though not very dark skies. Stupid summer. Camping binoculars are the best.

A few of the campsites we have been to have had excellent dark skies so definetly looking to get some binoculers 

Archived