Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What colour to paint the inside of my observatory

Ford Prefect

Hi

just refitted 9mm hardboard to my observatory walls and while discussing colours with the misses she suggested using magnetic chalkboard paint so I could write and stick things on it! 

What a great idea I thought , just wondered if anyone has done this or if there are any pitfalls I've not thought of ?

Black is the way to go, but you could use fuzzy felt and add the constellations for the said month, that would keep me busy on cloudy nights, god the good old days of fuzzy felt... but blackboard paint so you could sketch on the walls, plan a nights observing using chalk. simples

Our largest dome is painted dark blue, black seems the obvious but dark blue looks so much nicer when the lights are on or when it's open at all during the day. It looks black at night when using the telescope.  :icon_biggrin:

Every observatory I have been in and can recall has simply been a matt white, or something close to white. So I would guess it makes little difference.

Suppose they may have been white to effectively maximise the lighting inside as if you are in there you will want to see things around you. White would "spread" any light around a bit more.

Hi Jon :)

Is it the warm room or the observing room? Imaging or visual?

If you are using a reflector for imaging that has any opening on the bottom underneath the mirror it is important that any light that can be reflected up that end of the tube is minimal, as it can go through the mirror and affect the picture. You'd never notice it visually though.

Weathershield black satin gives a  nice finish, single coat is  not too shiny and you can write on it with chalk if you so desire, and easy wipe it off.

Nice to see Ford Prefect back  btw :)

Tim

Just now, Tim said:

Hi Jon :)

Is it the warm room or the observing room? Imaging or visual?

If you are using a reflector for imaging that has any opening on the bottom underneath the mirror it is important that any light that can be reflected up that end of the tube is minimal, as it can go through the mirror and affect the picture. You'd never notice it visually though.

Weathershield black satin gives a  nice finish, single coat is  not too shiny and you can write on it with chalk if you so desire, and easy wipe it off.

Nice to see Ford Prefect back  btw :)

Tim

Its the Observing room, imagining only...  ill give the Weathershield a look... cheers

PS, feels good to be back :-)

Archived