Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wizard Nebula SHO and Bicolor

Rodd

I thought I was going to have a great night when the clouds rolled in unexpectedly.  I only was able to collect 3 30 min SII subs.  With only 3 I was not expecting much.  The first image is a HaSHO, with 11 30 min Ha, 12 30 min OIII and 3 30 min SII.  The second image is a bicolor image using the Ha and OIII (HOO).  I am debating whether I need to more SII.

596ce704d932c_HaSHO-2dscnr-hist3-tgv2.thumb.jpg.bf0223692e0c9bed5ee9ac8fa6197533.jpg

596cdfa384cfb_Blend1aand1d-histandBlend1aand1dSCNR-2.thumb.jpg.81aafe161dfa6668b9d5e8fb4c30d782.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, steviemac500 said:

as numerous images I haven't yet used any SII but I really like your 1st image. Lovely colours, makes we want to ask the wife for a new filter!!

Thanks Steviemac.  Definitely convince her.  Well worth it.  here is a reprocess that has much less noise control and overall way less processing.  I feel I pounded the first image into submission.  This one flowed out in easily.  I must always remind myself to keep it simple.  I was going to edit the first one out and replace it with this one as too many postings can be annoying, but it would be nice to have some opinions to ensure I am on the right track! 

5b.thumb.jpg.6fde5c8104de2cfc8e88560f9a7bd078.jpg

21 hours ago, Rodd said:

but it would be nice to have some opinions to ensure I am on the right track!

Yes, this second image is super Rodd, more natural making the nebula feel like it is floating in space.  If I had one remark it would be to try and remove the purple cast on the couple of larger stars as they distract from the very fine Wizard.  Well done for a fine image.

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Yes, this second image is super Rodd, more natural making the nebula feel like it is floating in space.  If I had one remark it would be to try and remove the purple cast on the couple of larger stars as they distract from the very fine Wizard.  Well done for a fine image.

Thanks Barry-- Now that you point it out--they are eyesores indeed.  I will correct that--I think I am going to get more data for this target.  I have not been particularity satisfied with the level of detail resolved with this scope compared to the np101is.  I was expecting more.  However, most of the images I made using that scope contained allot more data-twice as much in fact.  At F7.7, I don't think data reduction is the thing to do.  So, lets see if more data solves that problem (and teh purple stars too!)

Rodd

10 minutes ago, RichLD said:

Hey Rodd, they all look fantastic! If I had to choose just the one I'm with you on the less processed version. Delicate and powerful, like fine art. More please! :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Rich!  I would be more than happy to oblige, but Mother Nature has other ideas.  Lately it seems to be worse then ever.  Last year I remember many more clear nights.  

Rodd

Just now, Rodd said:

Thanks Rich!  I would be more than happy to oblige, but Mother Nature has other ideas.  Lately it seems to be worse then ever.  Last year I remember many more clear nights.  

Rodd

You're welcome! Agreed - it's also been a poor summer in the UK for clear nights...

1 hour ago, Shibby said:

Really nice, great work. I can't get enough of this nebula, always enjoy looking at images of it.

Thanks Lewis.  Last night I was able to get 5 more hours of SII--The difference is subtle--mostly in the fine details of the gold areas.  Not sure it was worth it.  I did manage to fix the halos around the largest stars.

8a-scnr-Stardesat-desat-histdown.thumb.jpg.29c037416cb933a5d1d5e0a0d63904a8.jpg

I like your stars better in the last one, however i like the saturation of the post before that last one.  The dark dust seems to have more of a 3d effect in the last one.  Either image is very well done!!

1 hour ago, Rudeviewer said:

I like your stars better in the last one, however i like the saturation of the post before that last one.  The dark dust seems to have more of a 3d effect in the last one.  Either image is very well done!!

Thanks.  Yeah--the stars are better in the last one.  I will no doubt tweak for a week until I get it just right (or ruin it). Saturation is easy to modify.   I am honing in on it!  It's in there.

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rudeviewer said:

Here you are--stars of the last and the saturation of the previous.

9b-sat-less.thumb.jpg.70fa4d73f460a624702baec24764fb58.jpg

18 hours ago, Rodd said:

Here you are--stars of the last and the saturation of the previous.

9b-sat-less.thumb.jpg.70fa4d73f460a624702baec24764fb58.jpg

Now that is the one for me.  I think it brings out the most of each filter color for sure.  

Astrophotography is tough because everyone has a different eye about something.  

I recalibrated my monitor and boy--what a difference.  Somehow my gain got way out of balance, and my gray balance too.  I reprocessed this image finally understanding what is meant by "leaving 10% of the image on the table" (or screen as it were).  I have always loved details, often at the expense of sharpening artifacts.  But now, I see processing artifacts (sharpening as well as noise control) as deal breakers--even it if means I have to back off those coveted details.  This image has probably about 50% left on the table.  But this is as far as I can take it without my processing steps generating a negative as well as a positive.  Its pale, I know.  There has been no sharpening of any kind.  Noise control was minimal (not visible while viewing from normal distance.). 

MR-7.thumb.jpg.0b94e0de3338121e8bd0bb4b06e40c43.jpg

23 minutes ago, toxic said:

lovely image rodd

Thanks Chris.  I think I am finally on the right track.  the tiniest of choices can really effect an image down the road.  One final tweak--Its actually a blend of a modification--so 1/2 the change.  It gets crazy.  Beyond this point I suppose its all personal preference....and I am very indecisive.

5973886458edb_Blendeandg.thumb.jpg.46b62a529eb69406af37b0b25c84f853.jpg

46 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm a natural colour fanatic so what I'd like best would some RGB stars for the bicolour!

But your false colour image is striking and attractive for sure.

Olly

Thanks Olly--I tend to shoot NB allot due to my skies, but I too like natural color.   I think with the TOA at F7.7 I may have better luck with broadband--we'll see with the Cacoon.  M78s Lum shot with the np101is was much (much) dirtier with severe gradients and much more data was required to resolve things.  That could have partially been due to its location in the sky compared to the Cacoon (much lower declination toward LP domes), but maybe some of it has to do with the FR.  Besides M97/108 and M101 were close to the Meridian and gradients were a problem there too.  The C11Edge tends to be less susceptible to LP (I think).  We'll see.  I have always wanted to use RGB stars in an NB image (it requires additional nights however and with the weather patterns, its hard for me to pursue that).

The other thing I would like to do is find a way to use Ha as a luminance in an RGB image but without the Ha entering the red channel.  I just want the amazing structure incorporated into the image without any vestige of color.  I don't know if that is possible or not.  Even with RGB channels, when you view the G or R or B channels after channel combination, there is crossover between all 3.

Rodd

Archived