Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp.jpg

Shera

Imaging the sun

7 posts in this topic

I've been messing around filming Jupiter and Saturn on an iPhone 6 through my telescope and stacking the images and also photographing the moon. I'm fed up of the lack of clear skies at the moment so I was thinking about trying to image the sun! I've been trying to look into how to do it, and I am right in thinking I need some solar filter material to go over the end of my telescope and if so, can I then use my phone to film the sun or will I end up setting it on fire/it blowing up (!)/ the camera lens getting damaged etc?!

If you put the correct density solar film over the scope (ND5) you should be perfectly safe.

http://astrosolar.com/en/

This is baader solar film..make your own cap..plenty of info on u tube on how to do it...its great fun to fill the gap until we have decent amount of darkness..and of course the clear skies

Thanks both. Yes the Baader solar film was what I was thinking of buying so it's nice to know it's the right stuff. 

Have fun with it - but be overcareful, I am sure there are lots of how to's and what not to do's around.

1 person likes this

yes and good idea to remove your finder as that is just as dangerous to your eye. you can get used to just having a quick look in the finder.

Do make sure the filter is fixed securely! I use duct tape.

Alexxx