Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nlc.gif

mikeDnight

The Dumbell Nebula

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The seeing was good but the sky wasn't truly dark, and with the transparency beeing variable due to intermittent wispy cloud, this was a bit of a challenge. The object itself is easy to find but teasing out detail within it can be difficult under less than perfect skies. In the book The Messier Album, John Mallas using his 4" F15 Unitron refractor portrayed M27 as a rectangular blur. I have to confess I've never seen it in quite the same way that Mallas did. Even in binoculars it looks like an Apple core embedded in a nebulous bubble.

Last night's sketch was more than just a quick look, and represents about an hour of study under a blackout hood to help me to tease out as much subtle detail as I could given the less than perfect conditions. Like Mallas I used a 4" refractor, but if you are able to compare Mallas's drawing with mine you'll see they have little in common.

FC100DC using a prism diagonal and 16.8mm orthoscopic eyepiece  (X44). 16/7/17.

Thanks for looking. :happy11:

2017-07-17 11.01.00.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
24 people like this

wow, thats one fantastic drawing, it looks more like an image, big congrats mate

2 people like this

Beautiful sketch Mike one of your finest I would say I like how the gases seem to twist and intertwine with each other then fade slowly out really well done 👍

1 person likes this

I was observing it last night not for as long as you but you are right easy to spot not so easy to tease out the detail.

1 person likes this

Very nice drawing. I was observing the dumbell myself a couple of nights ago and I did a quick sketch, not as impressive as yours though. But even with my light polluted skies i could make out the dumbell shape. It appeared to me to be smaller/thinner at one end than the other. I will try and post a sketch later.

1 person likes this

Excellent sketch Mike, more akin to Kreimer's photograph than Mallas's drawing!

1 person likes this

Fantastic sketch, Mike! You're an excellent artist :)

1 person likes this

Awesome! My image of the dumbbell nebula has nothing on that sketch!

1 person likes this

As usual a very high quality observation and sketch from you Mike.
I wish I could find it from my garden, but then again that's half the fun, finding things.

1 person likes this

Very nice piece Mike, I never noticed the small cluster of stars close to the nebula. This is where I see the difference of total experience in this hobby.  it's 2 objects in 1 sketch!  Now I want to look at the nebula too. :icon_biggrin:

Edited by N3ptune
1 person likes this

When I see a sketch like that it makes me want to pick up a pencil under the stars. Wonderful work.

2 people like this

Superb.

I was observing M27 last night as well.

Olly

1 person likes this

Lovely sketch Mike, thought it was an image to start with!

1 person likes this

HI  Mike,  yet again a lovely sketch, great rendition of a familiar object, it certainly lives up to its name,  kind regards  CHRIS.

1 person likes this