SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Dumbell Nebula

mikeDnight

The seeing was good but the sky wasn't truly dark, and with the transparency beeing variable due to intermittent wispy cloud, this was a bit of a challenge. The object itself is easy to find but teasing out detail within it can be difficult under less than perfect skies. In the book The Messier Album, John Mallas using his 4" F15 Unitron refractor portrayed M27 as a rectangular blur. I have to confess I've never seen it in quite the same way that Mallas did. Even in binoculars it looks like an Apple core embedded in a nebulous bubble.

Last night's sketch was more than just a quick look, and represents about an hour of study under a blackout hood to help me to tease out as much subtle detail as I could given the less than perfect conditions. Like Mallas I used a 4" refractor, but if you are able to compare Mallas's drawing with mine you'll see they have little in common.

FC100DC using a prism diagonal and 16.8mm orthoscopic eyepiece  (X44). 16/7/17.

Thanks for looking. :happy11:

2017-07-17 11.01.00.jpg

Very nice drawing. I was observing the dumbell myself a couple of nights ago and I did a quick sketch, not as impressive as yours though. But even with my light polluted skies i could make out the dumbell shape. It appeared to me to be smaller/thinner at one end than the other. I will try and post a sketch later.

Very nice piece Mike, I never noticed the small cluster of stars close to the nebula. This is where I see the difference of total experience in this hobby.  it's 2 objects in 1 sketch!  Now I want to look at the nebula too. :icon_biggrin:

I don't know why but I can stare at a sketch for ages but a photo rarely holds my attention for more than a few seconds (don't tell the imaging forum!). Not heard of that messier book, I'll have to check it out!

34 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

I don't know why but I can stare at a sketch for ages but a photo rarely holds my attention for more than a few seconds (don't tell the imaging forum!). Not heard of that messier book, I'll have to check it out!

I'm with you on that one! Somehow, even basic sketches seem to capture the living thing, where as an image ( and I don't mean this in a cruel sense), is like viewing something that's been taxidermied. A similar thing can be seen in a photograph of someone you love, as compared to a good drawing or painting of that person. The latter always seems to capture the life within.

The Messier Album was printed in the 1970's and consisted of comparative sketches and photographs of each of Messiers pseudo comets. It's well worth getting hold of a copy if you can find one. I suspect that John Mallas's 4" Unitron was a superlative instrument but that the eyepieces of the day let him down somewhat. 

Archived