SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How can I reduce glare from my monitor when solar imaging?

SlimPaling

Hi folks ...

I really do suffer from reflections on my laptop screen while doing solar imaging ..... there must be a way of reducing this without affecting the resolution of my screen. 

I have made a boxlike shroud that fits around my laptop which has made things slightly better ... but I need some sort of anti-reflection "stuff" to go over my screen.

I have spend quite a bit of time searching the 'net and I can't seem to spot anything that jumps out. I am reluctant to spend dosh on something that doesn't work very well :-(

Does anybody have any suggestions???

Mike

A bath towel over both your head and the screen works - even if it does make you look a complete fool!! :) 

Alternatively try something like this:

IMG_2149.JPG.1334fd2926ac026443211c0b74f3fef3.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG.511d4e025d1113e1f12b479d7fb51eec.JPG

Made from 3mm MDF and hot glue - its now about five year old and still works.  The laptop is inside the box and you place your face against the curved opening.  it works very well too!

Yep, you'll need a head cloth to get rid of reflections.

BTW, to me the introduction of glossy screens always looked like a fad ("improved clarity and vibrance" and all that). Fortunately, laptop vendors still have matte-screen models and that's always my key requirement when buying a new one.

35 minutes ago, JimT said:

Hi Jim ...

Are you suggesting that this goes in front of the screen?

Can you see the screen clearly through it with no loss of resolution?

Mike

1 hour ago, SlimPaling said:

Hi Jim ...

Are you suggesting that this goes in front of the screen?

Can you see the screen clearly through it with no loss of resolution?

Mike

Mike, it does say flexible and anti-glare surface., it was the first item I came across, on the other hand you could try glass that is used for photograph frames :)

2 hours ago, StarlightKnight said:

Mike

A few years ago I had the same problem and found that the atFolix antiglare protectors worked really well - I even got one for my digital camera.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-Lenovo-ThinkPad-Helix-Protection/dp/B00F0XNSH4/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1500203197&sr=1-2&keywords=atFoliX+laptop

Don

Hi Don ...

Thanks for this suggestion .... I will be looking to see if I can find one that fits my laptop screen ... looks like they make them in lots of different sizes!!!

Mike

5 hours ago, Bizibilder said:

A bath towel over both your head and the screen works - even if it does make you look a complete fool!! :) 

Alternatively try something like this:

Made from 3mm MDF and hot glue - its now about five year old and still works.  The laptop is inside the box and you place your face against the curved opening.  it works very well too!

Hi Roger ...

I like your "box" .... I have already made a quick one out of cardboard which works pretty well when I am up close to it .... but there are many occasions when I am using my SolarScope and trying to focus it manually from the other side of my hut. I don't have the luxury of an electronic focuser on this scope so have to do this away from my laptop screen.

I have no problem when using my main refracting scope as I do have an electronic focuser.

Mike

I use a piece of fabric. Fairly large as I found that "towel" size just fell of my head or laptop (never even a slight breeze until I get under the towel, then its like a hurricane lol), it is black on one side and white on the other. 

It makes the inside nice and dark, while reflecting the sunshine off and keeping most of the heat away. I'll see if I can dig out a link.

Archived