Narrowband

Newbies 1st Post :)

Dagger

Morning all.  This is my first time in here so please forgive me whilst I get used to what I'm doing and figure out where I am!

Looking forward to speaking to other amateur astronomers to better my understanding and observing :) 

Please feel free to reply or add me if you so wish.

Clear skies 

Darren

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great place to hone your viewing skills, there is not much that is not already covered in the forums. There is lots of friendly advice.

welcome from Will

3 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

As far as your location is concerned, there are some really dark regions just in the west of you, have a look here:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=9&lat=7223409&lon=-55959&layers=B0TFFFFFTF

Welcome  here, and Clear Skies!

Stephan

If purple is the worst light pollution , is Yellow moderate light pollution ? I live in a Yellow region .

6 hours ago, Red Dwarfer said:

If purple is the worst light pollution , is Yellow moderate light pollution ? I live in a Yellow region .

Yellow, according to the Light Pollution Map' s legend, means a sky area brightness of 20.4 - 20.9 MPSAS (measured with the SQM device). As the Unihedron graph below shows, this relates to a naked eye limiting magnitude (NELM) of about 5.4 mag up to almost 6.0 mag. Many of us here would be very happy to observe in such rather favourable conditions. DSO observing starts (in general), when you can make out all the four stars, that form the body of the constellation Ursa Minor, the faintest, Eta UMi, shining at 5.0 mag (a very nice quick assessment of sky quality).

Hope this helps.

Stephan

MPSASvsNELM.jpg

7 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

DSO observing starts (in general), when you can make out all the four stars, that form the body of the constellation Ursa Minor

Okay , many thanks for that information ... I gave a new 200P a proper first try tonight in the back garden and was blown away by how well M13 looked at x 75 magnification and was able to make out a clear ring shape in M57 at the same magnification too ... M31 and M32 ( for the first time ) were also seen tonight .

Archived