SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51

Hi all,

My second look at this target - this time from the 14.5" RCOS @ DSW: 30 hours of data.

I have been developing my details technique, i stumbled on AFP-R recently and my approach is like a hybrid of that spread across PI and PS.  I could find a lot more detail but this felt about as far as I could go while keeping a good balance overall.

5969f5e5ec0ce_M51V4.thumb.png.ba4c566d6413653837c2e705901ab2a2.png

Great shot Paddy.  Allot of detail in there.  I think that if you bring down the brightness of the galaxy a bit those details will stand out better.  The difference in brightness between the ridges of the spiral arms and the troughs between them could be greater.   Wonderful image however on a notoriously tricky target. 

Rodd

2 hours ago, Rodd said:

Great shot Paddy.  Allot of detail in there.  I think that if you bring down the brightness of the galaxy a bit those details will stand out better.  The difference in brightness between the ridges of the spiral arms and the troughs between them could be greater.   Wonderful image however on a notoriously tricky target. 

Rodd

A lot of that is a size issue I think, if you view at full size the brightness Vs detail is better balanced.

2 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Beautiful take, Paddy!

Thank you for making my morning a colourful one -

Do keep going!

Dave

Thanks Dave - glad you enjoyed.

2 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

Amazing colours, whats AFP-R?

Thanks Mike - http://www.cedic.at/apfr/index.php#section4 designed to bring out details.  It's good if it is new to you and some handy little PS use points in there.

12 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:
3 hours ago, Rodd said:

Rodd

A lot of that is a size issue I think, if you view at full size the brightness Vs detail is better balanced.

Paddy--for sure, but not all.  I think if you notch the histogram down you will be pleased.  It will take care of the slight blueish cast in the background as well that I see in the full image on my screen.

Rodd

Great work Paddy.  I can see you have worked very hard to detail the spiral arms and active HII regions - I take my hat off to you, a first class image :headbang:.

The image is best viewed at full resolution as the detail comes to life.  Terrific work.

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I like it.  Well, that's it, really! Paddy doesn't need any further waffle from me!!

Olly

Thanks Olly.  Clarity works :)

2 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

i really like this, excellent 

Thanks Danny

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Superb! There's even a little twin pair mirroring these two near the orange double star off to the left.

Thanks - going to need a bigger scope for that pair (Oh no I said it out loud, the brain starts to ponder....)

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Great work Paddy.  I can see you have worked very hard to detail the spiral arms and active HII regions - I take my hat off to you, a first class image :headbang:.

The image is best viewed at full resolution as the detail comes to life.  Terrific work.

Thanks Barry - yes been refining a two part process (includes PS though, I know my bad).  Really helps find details at various scales, of course, the trick is to apply them correctly, starting to get the hang of doing that more consistently now.

19 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Stunning! Can't wait to get my go at this target.

Good luck - works on various FoV's too so a nice target for most.  Thanks for comment

8 hours ago, mike005 said:

Lovely image Patrick.

Thanks Mike

2 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Very impressive Paddy ! - the details are amazing - I must have a deeper look into the AFP-R post processing technique.

Alan 

Thanks Alan - when you do you can also try with the high pass filter.  I find in PI a few small iterations of LHE with kernal set to different sizes helps kick start the process.

1 hour ago, mikeskor said:

Amazing !

Thanks Mike

6 hours ago, jetstream said:

I love this image Paddy, not only is it superb but the glow around the bodies mirrors what I see visually. I just wish I could see this object through the scope exactly the same as your image.

Thanks Gerry - Would be nice to see that visually I agree, ultimately that is what led me to imaging (was that or have some owl eyes implanted).  Seeing all the other images left me underwhelmed on the deep  sky stuff.  Still love peering at planets though something tangible about that

3 hours ago, gnomus said:

Tremendous Paddy.  I can't add anything much to what's already been said (or what I said at the other place).

Steve

Thanks Steve - appreciate two feedbacks ;) .

Archived