SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10 year old eq6 pro mount worth it?

Petar b

Is a 10 year old eq6 pro mount worth buying for astrophotography. The mount has been mounted on a pillar in sellers garden observatory. I would use a small 80 mm refractor. Here is an image of his phd guiding.

Vođenje EQ6Pro+F1000mm+OAG+QHY5.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Performance looks ok on the PHD graphs, certainly for an 80mm (at about 500mm focal length?). The graphs don't tell everything, was the mount loaded with the Newt in the picture or a smaller scope? What were the sky conditions? Was there any wind? How well do you know the seller?

Looking at the photos it seems to be in good condition.

There is lots of online experience on these mounts; if there are issues you won't be short of help.

Depends how much cash is changing hands...for the right price it's probably a good buy. I'd be tempted if I were in the market for an EQ6. I've got an AZ-EQ6 which has only incremental improvements (but very useful increments) and will cost a whole lot more than you're probably being asked for...the EQ6 is still a very good mount despite its age. 

RL

The mount is selling for 769,82 euros or 682,01 gbp and I don't know the seller. Here is what the seller wrote :

"The EQ6 SynScan Pro was bought in 2007 by TS (via OI Optimus). Since then, it has been mounted on a pillar in my garden observatory all the time, and is completely covered (with special cover) at the time of unuse. The assembly kit includes a Synscan controller with GoTo function, an original tripod (51mm steel feet), an eyepiece shelf, a handheld controller, an original manual and the bill. The tirpod is new because it was used just a few times the same year when the installation was purchased and then stacked neatly in the garage. Everything is in a completely correct condition (of course, there is a couple of scratches there), and the assembly has recently been repaired (dismantled, cleaned, adjusted and lubricated with lithium grease). Since it has an original gear transmission, it normally has a small backlash, but the precision of driving is excellent - the average RMS is approx. 0.5-0.6 bass seconds (guided by the QHY5 and OAG planetary cameras on the SW 190 MN telescope, F = 1000mm). SynScan handheld controller has GoTo function and over 14,000 programmed sky objects installed firmware version 03.27. I attach an image of the PhD graph to one of the last run with this setup."

Looks good and well worth getting the EQ6 pro, but in my honest opinion that  price is a bit high, I paid £550 third hand for mine, and it had the Rowan belt mod already done...!, and I got no tripod with mine, but did get Synscan handset....

or maybe I just got an absolute bargain....

just my opinion :)

Here is his flicker account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/147097263@N06/. All of the deep sky objects were taken with that mount. IC342 Was taken with the mak-newt L = 24 x 10 min = 240 min R = 7 x 10 min = 70 min  G = 8 x 10 min = 80 min B = 7 x 10 min = 70 min in 2014. Rosette nebula (4 panel mosaic) h-alpha 3*20min, 12*3min, 19*5min. And the m27 was taken with 03.08.2008. (Newton 200/1000), 19.07.2009. (Newton 200/1000), 10.09.2011. (APO 90/600), 28. i 29. 08. 2014. (MN190), L = 4x3 min, 13x5 min, 14x10 min, R=G=B= 12x5 min.

3 minutes ago, Petar b said:

So the price is a bit too high. Is there any difference between 10 year old mount and a new one?

In terms of design there would be slight changes externally, as for the insides I dont know. There will be wear and tear inside as per for example, comparing a new car and a used one.  Nothing can go too badly wrong that can't be easily diyed as it is a very popular mount. 

If you mean motherboard- I'm pretty sure it's the same one. Early production eq6 used to have some problems with cheap lubricant (I'm not sure what "early" is in this case anyway, it can be that by 2007 it wasn't the case), but since you are going for belt upgrade - not important 

In my opinion the price is on a steep side. There's one on ABS for 780 with belt and wedge mods already done,  http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=126997 (minus hand controller), another one, just 18 month old with upgraded bolts and eqdir cable plus some other extras for 700. 

680 for 10 year old... If that was the only choice, personally I would pay 320 more for a new one. 

Imho - £250-£300 would be more than enough for a ten year old EQ6. I think your seller is expecting a bit too much. £680 will get you a very good second hand modern up to date model, under two years old, in good working order, and near perfect condition (no more than the odd nick here or there mostly on the weights), with minimal internal wear.

So my advice is wait patiently for a more up to date model to be advertised - or save a bit more and buy brand new. Hth :)

21 minutes ago, Erla said:

In my opinion the price is on a steep side. There's one on ABS for 780 with belt and wedge mods already done,  http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=126997 (minus hand controller), another one, just 18 month old with upgraded bolts and eqdir cable plus some other extras for 700. 

680 for 10 year old... If that was the only choice, personally I would pay 220 more for a new one.

One of the problems is that I don't live in UK instead I live in Croatia so i can't go and look if everything is all right and the delivery would't be cheap. What do you think would be a fair price for this 10 year old mount?

I agree with what others have said. it's looking in good condition and is the same age as mine, although I have done a few upgrades on mine. The issue is the price. It's pretty steep for a 10 year old mount. I can't quite remember how much I paid for mine new, but it was Around £900 new I think. 

Steve

Archived