SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wooden Tripod Plans and Advice

Fozzie

Hi all,

I've tasked myself with making a (hopefully) nice wooden tripod incorporating an "old" vixen tripod hub, recently acquired, that belonged to a recently acquired Vixen GP mount.

I've drawn up some plans in respect to what I think will work, with adjustability built in but thought id offer this up for some advice..

I've got about £100 to play with in respect to wood and fixings, so suggestions welcome on sourcing timber and any accessories that may come in usefull.

5967954bd3c0b_ScannedfromaXeroxMultifunctionPrinter-1.thumb.jpg.666efdfaf761bc505ba2d4784075433a.jpg

Only thing I've noticed that needs to change is the width of the 40x40 battern (foot section) this will need to match the width between the legs..

Any thoughts?

Ta

Fozzie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DRT said:

What are you planning to sit on it, Steve?

Most likely the gp mount and 102 f11.. 

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Perhaps see what's available on eBay in the way of used surveyors wooden tripods. Might be able to pick up something cheap and use the legs from it. 

John

I've been looking but they are mostly battered or ridiculously expensive..

Do we think the suggestion is not man enough.. baulking at £330 for a berlebach currently!

24 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Do we think the suggestion is not man enough.. baulking at £330 for a berlebach currently!

Not at all - I admire your enthusiasm and ability to even contemplate making one :wink:

I own a Berlebach, and I think it is fantastic, but I am sure making one would give more satisfaction than receiving it in the post :grin:

11 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Maybe this post helps

Fantastic Micheal.. that looks great.. I can see some revision of plans coming up..

45 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Fozzie, you might want to contact Philj as he has made a few wooden tripods

Thanks Jules.. I'll tag @Philj in.. hophopefully he'll see it..

9 hours ago, johninderby said:

You mean something like this? :angel4:

John

IMG_1223.JPG

Something exactly like that.. just hopefully better!! :evil4:

Thinking as it Japanese I'll look into cherry wood.. Nice!

• 3 weeks later...

As a quick update to this thread, I have been busy sourcing and pricing alternative woods and redrafting my ideas on the tripod.  I've also bee scouring the used market for more GP components and have now managed to source the following items.

• GP mount and DD3 handset/drives...
  • Vixen Green Half pillar extension - don't ask where I got this from but im glad I spent the cash on it..
  • Vixen GP tripod hub..

Sapele Mahogany wood cut to the following sizes.. which has cost me £36 quid.. Happy with that!!

• 6No 19mm x 30mm x 1100mm Sections
  • 3No 36mm x 30mm x 600mm Sections
  • 6No 36mm x 30mm x 100mm Sections

Hopefully collect the wood at the end of the week.. I've sourced pillar drills and a host of wood working tools..

Just need to sort out the fixings, metal plates I think were almost ready..

Quite excited to see how this turns out, just in time for astro dark too..

Ta

Fozzie

I've built many wooden tripods, some for large heavy telescopes, the "secret" to a rigid tripod is well splayed double legs and a suitably large top diameter. I know this makes it more difficult to make it height adjustable, but if you want rigidity.........  A good tripod can be made from double legged crutches if you can find some.  :icon_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

A good tripod can be made from double legged crutches if you can find some.  :icon_biggrin:

Plenty on eBay Peter, biggest problem seems to be that for some strange reason they come in twos not threes ;) Finding two matching pairs is a little more tricky.

14 hours ago, Stu said:

Plenty on eBay Peter, biggest problem seems to be that for some strange reason they come in twos not threes ;) Finding two matching pairs is a little more tricky.

"Jake the Peg - Diddle diddle dum".   :grin:

Lol,

The crutch idea is not all that bad, at least it should take the weight!

The wood is now ready for collection, and my steel plates are also in manufacture.. will post some pics of the wood later..

This might be the first DIY job I've actually completed.. Don't tell the wife she'll have me hanging curtains and all sorts next!

The Sapele Mahogany wood has landed and cwwwwooorrrrrrrrr it looks the part!

It will need a bit of work to form radiuses, routing and tapers before a teak oil treatment, then I can start to assemble the legs...

here it is, its surprisingly heavy, and it doesn't flex too much either.. although I might need to soften some of the edges off..

The legs have been cut to 1200mm x 19mm x 30mm to allow a bit of wastage..

20170803_121406.thumb.jpg.fc0e703dc78968dcae6c74426d26c559.jpg

The Feet sections cut to 650mm x 30mm x 36mm

20170803_121418.thumb.jpg.64042541cacf3fc808f66b9c484ea06b.jpg

And finally the bracing blocks cut to 100mm x 30mm x 36mm

20170803_121429.thumb.jpg.1097291844af687629ee05adbb58798d.jpg

another step closer.... Just need to sort out the fixings, which will be stainless I thing to match the plates i'm having made!

Any body have suggestions/input before I get drill to wood?

Ta

Fozzie

So now I've had some hands on time with the wood (ahem) I've begain to detail the fixings and finer points of the woodwork for the desired finished leg sections, as well as consider overall height and adjustability.

This has lead me to the following shop drawings, denoting the assembly of said legs..  Just need to source the final tools for the job now from various places..

This is almost starting to become a bit obsessive!!

59844fd23509e_ScannedfromaXeroxMultifunctionPrinter001.thumb.jpg.1a88d3236bd92302347a2161b8338905.jpg

59844fd591e24_ScannedfromaXeroxMultifunctionPrinter002.thumb.jpg.887e9f9bf2e99d66a8794e81c98f9263.jpg

59844fd84b1c1_ScannedfromaXeroxMultifunctionPrinter003.thumb.jpg.5beb9acbfd69ccc963664fb3455b0fbc.jpg

Im thinking with the main leg sections at 1000mm I will have an adjustable height of 1300mm for the overall legs..

I can go to 1100mm and still just get this in the boot of the car, giving an overall height of the legs of 1400mm (yes I know that's not actual height once legs are spayed... (again Ahem))

Ta

Fozzie

2 hours ago, nightfisher said:

coming on well mate, looking forward to seeing the finished tripod

Thanks Jules.... You and me both! Its clearing up here You out tonightm ive set up in the garden for some lunar and saturn gandering!

First coat of teak oil is applied.. another couple of coats this week along with the machine eork for assembling next weekend..

I can see ehy its called sapele mahogany now.. what a difference!

20170806_114048.thumb.jpg.3c289c6e3c0afbc6d1ed68ff6f3cf1b1.jpg

Un oiled against oiled, thats the look you want.. completed legs below!

20170806_121027.thumb.jpg.cc39a71e57a1ec7774316d34c0ec1f1d.jpg

20170806_121052.thumb.jpg.761eb0aed22255868856c1519d53cc2e.jpg

Going well so far!

Ta

Fozzie 

Archived