Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn (LRGB) 12 July 2017 - Good seeing

geoflewis

Despite me commenting only yesterday that I was probably done with Saturn, I took another look last night before my intended set up procedure getting ready for DSO and wow Saturn looked the best I've seen it this year. Seeing was certainly good, so I grabbed one AVI each of RGB then IR, before the clouds rolled in - typical. I hung around hoping to get more IR and got one more somewhat inferior capture through whispy cloud and called it a wrap as Saturn was past the meridian and starting to lose altitude. I never did get anything done in preparation for DSO...!!

Here is the final image

Saturn_12July2017_LRGB(annotated).jpg.3f41e447f30752ecfdecd22139a76c7c.jpg

As I didn't get more IR I built the luminance from the 2xIR+R+G. One's gotta use whatever one gets, but it was a real shame about those clouds ending what had promised to be a superb session....

Regards, Geof

Thanks Simon,

Last night the red was possibly even better than the IR and of course captured at a much faster frame. The seeing was so good that I decided to take a bit more time trying to get my capture histogram settings for each channel well tuned to each other, as that makes for a better final colour image. In the end I probably took too much time 'tuning', as the clouds unexpectedly caught me out. I've never known that happen before in the UK - yeah, right...!!  I should have just grabbed as many AVIs as possible from the get go; it seems that I never learn that the UK weather hardly ever plays ball with astonomy....

Cheers, Geof

1 minute ago, Grotemobile said:

Very very good . U have done well there.:thumbsup:

Thanks Steve, a guess persistence pays off. There's a lot of AVIs on the cutting room floor here this past few months.... Cheers, Geof

5 hours ago, astroman001 said:

Hi Geof

Great image from the UK.

Peter

Thanks Peter, yep I was pretty pleased with that one :happy7:. Really steady seeing for about 30 minutes until the clouds ruined it :clouds1:

Cheers, Geof

Archived