SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Should I observe with my glasses on

Wpit

I find it more comfortable to view without my glasses - as long as your glasses don't correct for astigmatism, then the eyepiece can correct the focus. Only thing for me, is that I have to put them back on when reading a map or looking through the telrad/finder.

don't think the view is any better or worse though

Also shortsoghted, think it is around -4 for both eyes. Tend to take them off more often then I keep them on although that means I have to keep them safe somewhere which is not always that easy. A deepish soft chest pocket is very useful. Also there is the minor problem that without them on your nose seeing where you may have put them is not so easy.

I have slight astigmatism also but that never seems to make any difference.

If you are at something with people/public than focus with them on as it is easier to presume that people have "good" eyesight and so set the focus for them.

Thanks for your replies, I have found that i could not see much of a difference for me but find it more comfortable to rest my eye directly on the eyepiece. But I do get annoyed as I need to have my glasses at hand when step away to look up without the scope. 

48 minutes ago, Wpit said:

I do get annoyed as I need to have my glasses at hand when step away to look up without the scope. 

.....keep the glasses off and look through something like 8x40 wide angle Binoculars, works a treat, and you'll see more, so much more.

I see details sharper with my glasses on during the day, its also a code 01 condition  on my  driving licence, and although I could  drive without them,  it would be a foolish mistake!
I can also see more Stars in general, with them, but their far from comfortable when worn using binoculars or eyepieces. I too like to get my eye buried into the eyepiece rubber, and in doing so, providing me with a light and wind shield for the eye.

I have always viewed without glasses,  just doesn't  feel comfortable wearing them during any observing and the reason I sold my  Telrad(s) was because without glasses I could not focus too infinity (and beyond - sorry!) in order to see the bulls eye?

10 hours ago, Charic said:

.....keep the glasses off and look through something like 8x40 wide angle Binoculars, works a treat, and you'll see more, so much more.

I see details sharper with my glasses on during the day, its also a code 01 condition  on my  driving licence, and although I could  drive without them,  it would be a foolish mistake!
I can also see more Stars in general, with them, but their far from comfortable when worn using binoculars or eyepieces. I too like to get my eye buried into the eyepiece rubber, and in doing so, providing me with a light and wind shield for the eye.

I have always viewed without glasses,  just doesn't  feel comfortable wearing them during any observing and the reason I sold my  Telrad(s) was because without glasses I could not focus too infinity (and beyond - sorry!) in order to see the bulls eye?

Great idea I'll lookout for some low mag wide field binoculars, I would like to leave my glasses indoors as they are so easy to lose or sit on in the dark.

If I'm viewing alone, I take them off.  I find it much more comfortable. However, if there's someone with me I focus with my glasses on, as it's -8 and other people find it way out of focus. It stops them fiddling with focuser. Sometimes. But I find I usually have to explain that focus is not "magnification" and the "bigger" view is not bigger, just way out of focus ?. Explanation usually draws blank stares but there you go ? With first timers I end up chucking smallest eyepiece in a Barlow and telling not to touch anything, most of the times. 

I usually take them off, although I have a slight astigmatism. Having hypermetropia instead of the much more common myopia helps, since I can also look at the sky without glasses.

Recently I've been using daily contact lenses too, the eye can get a bit tired, but it seems to be worth it.

When I got my first scope I thought there was something wrong with it but traced the problem to astigmatism. I didn't know I had it until then.

I prefer to keep my glasses on partly for that reason and also because looking through a telrad or just looking naked eye I need them on and it's one less thing to be fiddling with.

I usually remove mine. I'm just not comfortable observing with them on.  I need them though to set up the telescope, polar align, make adjustments, set up imaging etc.   I keep them on a neck cord so I can pop them on and off and keep them handy.   Cords are very cheap, I think I got some in Boots. 

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:01, Wpit said:

Great idea I'll lookout for some low mag wide field binoculars, I would like to leave my glasses indoors as they are so easy to lose or sit on in the dark.

What about something like this to hang them around your neck? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mudder-Glasses-Eyewear-Eyeglass-Cleaning/dp/B06ZZJBMTR/

Specs are compulsory for me because I have myopia and double-vision. However, as we know, specs can get in the way when it comes to insufficent eye-relief at the eyepiece. 

I solved this problem by filing down spare specs lenses to fit into the rubber eyecups of binoculars and the WO binoviewer. this corrects double-vision and gets the eyeballs close enough to the eyepiece/s to have the full field-of-view. 

44 minutes ago, rockystar said:

What about something like this to hang them around your neck? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mudder-Glasses-Eyewear-Eyeglass-Cleaning/dp/B06ZZJBMTR/

Great idea, I do a lot of sailing and have used retainers like these while out on the water but I will need to be more organised to make sure I can find these before I get setup for the night. Another thing for my checklist:-)

Glasses off, otherwise it's like paddling with your socks on !

I must thank Kerry who gave me a glasses dangling cord. Suitably shortened, the glasses are ready to pop on again without swinging into the ota or eyepiece.

Before this it was glasses on (Telrad), glasses off (Chart or handset) , glasses on ( find the scope) and glasses off ( observe). This led to many searches as to where I'd left the glasses. Final coup de grace was standing on them, hearing a crunch , I knew that I'd found them. It's just not possible to wear glasses with volcano and short eye relief orthodox,

Nick.

I'm very short sighted, and need to wear glasses all the time. I do remove them when at the eyepiece, though. I find that getting my eye as close to the eyepiece as possible makes for a far better view. I use a dangly cord round my neck, so I can take them off and put them on without any fear of losing them or of 'doing a Nick'!.

For reading observing lists and charts, I have to use reading glasses, so it's these that I have dangling round my neck. Fortunately, the prescription for the reading glasses and distance glasses are close enough that I can do almost everything with the reading glasses, but if I want to make an estimate of the NELM, I put the distance specs on.

To the original poster - I think the thing to do is to find out what is most comfortable for you. I think the best eyepiece view is without glasses, after all, it's just another piece of glass to absorb the light, but you work it out for yourself.

Archived