SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Neebe

Mike potter

Hello I have a autistic son 13 years old and loves looking at the stars have bought a meade Polaris  130eq  md  because we only had a basic cheap 37 pound telescope before on a very limited budget so got telescope of eBay  120 pounds is there anything I can buy to make it better and easier for my son many thanks in advance 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Peter says Stellarium is worthwhile, one aspect of Stellarim is to set it up and to get the "easier" things press F4 and set tnhe DSO magnitude to 6 (think tha is the general limit default it offers) then tick the box. It removeds the dimmer things and so makes identifing things a bit easier.

The other will be a couple of better eyepieces and at first I would say widish ones so that getting things in the field of view is simpler.

At f/5 (scope) then you had better consider reasonable eyepieces and I would say the lest costly are ones like the Vixen NPL plossls. Something around the 30mm and 15mm focal length (maybe 10mm if you wanted and was suitable to your son. Seems to be £24 at FLO at this time.

If your son wears glasses then you may need to consider ones with a longer focal length, that likely means the BST STarguiders, £50 each and say the 25mm and either 12mm or 8mm.

Do not get the idea that more magnification is better, it rarely is. However having said that Saturn needs something like 120x, which is down at the 5mm area for an eyepiece.

Sounds maybe odd but would something like a laser pointer help you to point out where things are in the sky for your son to kind of add to the big picture as it were. I find that once a person has seen something a lot like then to have an idea of where they were looking.

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might also like to post your question over on the section here entitled "Getting Started General Help and Advice" as more people visit that section than this welcome section.

Clear skies for your future observing!

If not a GoTo, at least an alt-azimuth mount. An EQ (Equatorial) mount is a problem for many adults, let alone for your children.

I do suggest you look into the forum James suggested:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/19-getting-started-general-help-and-advice/

You'll find lots of answers to your questions there.

Have fun,

Dave

Hi Mike, and big welcome to both of u from land down under

With club belong to, do viewing programs for grade 1-3 primary school kids as well as space badge for Joey's scouting movement, and use 15mm wide-angle eyepieces for the kids 

Have attached Level 1 & 2 Space Badge for scouting, which also includes craft activities, you son might enjoy

Have heaps of fun together

John

Space Badge.docx

12 hours ago, Mike potter said:

Should I try and save for a goto for my telescope as it would make it easier for my son 

Can I use any mount or do I have to stay with my make of telescope as have seen a skywatcher eq5 with goto going cheap on eBay 

3 hours ago, Mike potter said:

Can I use any mount or do I have to stay with my make of telescope as have seen a skywatcher eq5 with goto going cheap on eBay 

You can use any mount, with a proper adapter (way to attach the scope to the mount), you desire - within reason. Ask us here for advice when needed.

Dave

A warm welcome to you and your Son.
I'm sure you will receive much help if you need it. It's always good to
weigh up what you need to get you on the road in this fascinating  experience we call Astronomy.
This place is alive with smart people with a great deal of experience, and will be only too happy
to assist you should you need help or advice. You must ensure you have made a good choice
before you part with your money.
Best wishes to you and your Boy.

Mike

Skywatcher EQ5 is ideal mount, if one on EBAY good quality

Have my ED80 on EQ5, and quick any easy to transport and set-up

Use a car jump starter as power source, one I have has dual cigarette lighter outlets, as well as USB  

Attached pic shows my ED80 with solar filter attached  

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived