Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello

JDSPhotography

Hi Jon and welcome to SGL.

If you are wanting to 'do' Deep sky stuff then the very best thing you could do is get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' that is available in the book section of the FLO website. Something of an imagers bible it explains what you need and why. Read it once, twice and thrice and only then step back, think about what you need and why then you are ready to think about spending some money!!!

Have a look in the imaging forum and people almost always post the equipment they used for their images. Get a feel for the sorts of images you would like to aspire to..... then take a deep breath and make a start! Forget everything that you currently know about photography.... Astro knocks previously hard earned experience and ideas into a tin hat!

Most of all, enjoy! There's some really knowledgeable folks on here who will spend time answering your questions........ Remember no question is a silly question and none of us were born knowing any of this stuff :)

Hi Jon from land down under

Better off with a scope on a equatorial mount, EQ5 or 6, which enable you track, when imaging

I have a Skywatcher ED80 on a EQ5 mount, which find perfect setup for viewing and photography

John

Hi Jon, welcome to SGL. There's a huge amount of knowledge and experience here, freely shared by lots of very helpful folks. My advice is don't rush into buying anything (but don't put it off for ever :happy9:), as its possible to make some pretty expensive mistakes. I really like Sara's advice, I wish I'd seen that before I started out some 5-6 years ago...!!! Good luck and enjoy this fascinating and fantastic hobby. Geof

Archived