Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Astro-gorilla

How to cold finger mod 1000d?

Hi everybody!! Just joined after lurking for a year.  

I have done the filter removal as instructed by Gary Honis and was satisfied with the results.  Only one thing I'm wanting to learn and that's how to do a cold finger mod on my canon 1000d.

I have found some links, but mostly any instructions I've found were outdated and removed from the web, so it's been difficult to find a mod to my liking with detailed step by step and supply list.

One of my main concerns is that I still want to use the side of my camera that has usb and the input for my intervalometer  (currently unguided with no laptop).

I can do without live view as long as I can still connect the dslr to my phone on dslr controller for a bigger more comfortable live view.

Anyways I really need help in the right instructions to get this done.  Any links, videos, or experienced instructions would be a big help and I would be very thankful for.

I'd also like to add that I would like to go light weight on the mod, so i don't have much trouble balancing the es 80mm triplet on an Orion sirius.

Trying my best at a budget to defeat the Texas summer.

Clear skies!

Edited by Astro-gorilla
Forgot some details

Very hard to do while still having access to the intervalometer i would say you are going to need to be using a laptop of you are serious about trying this mod.

• Like 2

Dang....  See I was wondering if there was a way I could do it where I could remove the screen and run the mod through the back and still be able to do live view via smart phone (dslr controller app) and then in the future the laptop.

I just need that input for a intervalometer.  perhaps theres a way i could move the input out of the way...  

On 11/07/2017 at 02:21, Astro-gorilla said:

Dang....  See I was wondering if there was a way I could do it where I could remove the screen and run the mod through the back and still be able to do live view via smart phone (dslr controller app) and then in the future the laptop.

I just need that input for a intervalometer.  perhaps theres a way i could move the input out of the way...  

You can remove the rear of the case if use place it within a cool box and then double the cold finger back on itself around the rear having the heat-sink directly behind the sensor, however it will need to be housed inside something if you do that to prevent light leaking into the sensor from the rear. 

Sounds like I would need to fashion up a good sized square I can screw into the back of the dslr where the screen was.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By endless-sky
      I would like to share my third image.
      I finally had a "lucky week", since my last session, December 18th. I managed 5 clear nights out of the past 6 (has to be a record, at least for me and my area) and I was able to finish a couple of projects I had started long ago and start a few new ones.
      This is M33, also known as the Triangulum Galaxy, taken over 10 nights, under my Bortle 5/6 home sky.
      Total integration time: 10h 14m 00s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/11/08: Number of subs/Exposure time: 11@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/09: Number of subs/Exposure time: 10@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/20: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@240s + 4@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 30% illuminated
      2020/11/21: Number of subs/Exposure time: 22@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 45% illuminated
      2020/11/24: Number of subs/Exposure time: 20@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 75% illuminated
      2020/12/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 12@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/14: Number of subs/Exposure time: 8@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/18: Number of subs/Exposure time: 6@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 20% illuminated
      2021/01/10: Number of subs/Exposure time: 9@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/11: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      Total exposure time: 36840s = 10h 14m 00s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-7.

Image was Drizzle Integrated and then cropped to original sensor size (6016x4016), without resampling. So, it appears as if taken ad double the focal length (768mm instead of 384mm). Image scale 1.04 arc-sec/pixel.
      Here's a link to the full resolution image: Triangulum Galaxy (M33)
      Thanks for looking!
      C&C welcome!
    • By cwinstone
      Hello, does anyone know if my imaging train looks correct, and if it does, why am i still getting these coma errors?
      Could it be incorrect backfocus? Searching the internet makes me think my dslr is 44mm, adding the t ring (even tried a 1mm spacer too) gets me to the required 55mm (assuming that's correct)
      I have no idea how to solve this and i feel like I'm just throwing money down the drain fighting this in vien. Help would be much appreciated.
      Skywacher Evostar 72ed
      Reducer rotator for 72ed (needs this for extra distance to achieve focus, the reducer and adapter alone doesn't allow for enough outwards travel)
      Reducer/corrector for ed72
      Canon eos 650d

• By Uncertainty
      Hi, 
      I am a complete novice and got into astrophotography in December of last year, I had some decent success using only my Canon 450D and stock 18-55mm lens. 
      Since then I have purchased a telescope and mount (Sky-Watcher Startravel 102 and the AZGTe WiFi GOTO mount), which arrived yesterday. Luck would have it that the skies were clear last night and I had a go at imaging both M42 and M31 (also tried m45 tonight just to see if I could fiddle around with anything to solve it, but no luck), both of which came out pretty dissapointingly.
      If someone could tell my what is is that is wrong with the star shapes in the images, and potential fixes, it would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to waste another clear night if it is an easy fix!
      I have read about coma, but also that refractors don't have this issue, so I am completely baffled.

Thanks in advance.

M45 at 1 second exposure, M42 at 20 seconds and M31 at 30 seconds.

• By SpaceDave
      I'm new to the astrophotography hobby. I have experience with astronomy. I am struggling to make decent deep sky images (other than M42). The images don't seem to have much definition or brightness despite a decent overall exposure time. See the below images. I have seen on this forum that people are able to take awesome images of the below objects with my same setup. Is anyone able to tell me if I am missing something, please? Do I need even more exposure time?
      I use a Celestron 6SE with unmodified Canon 600D. It has a goto alt az, no EQ. I use a bahtinov mask to focus. Both images were taken with the native focal length of 1500mm, no filters or eyepieces.
      The image of the Triangulum Galaxy is 180 x 15sec ISO800 images. The Crab Neb is 250 x 15sec ISO800 images. Both images had their appropriate flats, darks and biases (30 of each). I use SIRIL to stack the images, which I have had good success with M42 before (see below).
      Any advice would be appreciated!

• By Soulitude
      Hi everyone I am new here, I live in Perth Western Australia (bottle class 5) and have just brought my new set up. There hasn’t been anyone in the area I can talk to about astrophotography so tried to do it all myself online and I fear I may have incorrectly purchased some things. (I tried to get things one at a time for budget purposes)
      I have this set up
      heq5, evostar ed80, .85reducer & corrector, evoguide 50ed, zwo 120mm mini for guiding and just my canon 200d mkii for the imaging. 
      The telescope, I think I may have brought something that’s not great for imaging and that’s all I’ve wanted to do. 
      can you please provide a better telescope alternative that would be suitable for all my other gear without having to buy like a new mount etc. I’m thinking just a slightly better scope not too heavy, opinions would be much appreciated 💖💖💖 xx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.