Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to cold finger mod 1000d?

Astro-gorilla

Hi everybody!! Just joined after lurking for a year.  

I have done the filter removal as instructed by Gary Honis and was satisfied with the results.  Only one thing I'm wanting to learn and that's how to do a cold finger mod on my canon 1000d.

I have found some links, but mostly any instructions I've found were outdated and removed from the web, so it's been difficult to find a mod to my liking with detailed step by step and supply list.

One of my main concerns is that I still want to use the side of my camera that has usb and the input for my intervalometer  (currently unguided with no laptop).

I can do without live view as long as I can still connect the dslr to my phone on dslr controller for a bigger more comfortable live view.

Anyways I really need help in the right instructions to get this done.  Any links, videos, or experienced instructions would be a big help and I would be very thankful for.

I'd also like to add that I would like to go light weight on the mod, so i don't have much trouble balancing the es 80mm triplet on an Orion sirius.

Trying my best at a budget to defeat the Texas summer.

Clear skies!

Dang....  See I was wondering if there was a way I could do it where I could remove the screen and run the mod through the back and still be able to do live view via smart phone (dslr controller app) and then in the future the laptop.

I just need that input for a intervalometer.  perhaps theres a way i could move the input out of the way...  

On 11/07/2017 at 02:21, Astro-gorilla said:

Dang....  See I was wondering if there was a way I could do it where I could remove the screen and run the mod through the back and still be able to do live view via smart phone (dslr controller app) and then in the future the laptop.

I just need that input for a intervalometer.  perhaps theres a way i could move the input out of the way...  

You can remove the rear of the case if use place it within a cool box and then double the cold finger back on itself around the rear having the heat-sink directly behind the sensor, however it will need to be housed inside something if you do that to prevent light leaking into the sensor from the rear. 

Archived