Narrowband

Registar the only option ?

Any stacking prog will align images with different orientations. What registar will do (I'm not aware of any others) is stack images with different resolutions/frame sizes. Is that what you mean rather than orientation?

Registar is utterly brilliant but the newly arrived Astro Pixel Processor might be even cleverer. You can also do it in PI provided you're up for the challenge of learning to speak PI.

During any image processing job I'm in and out of Registar like a jack-in-the-box because it is so darned useful.

Olly

Registar is utterly brilliant but the newly arrived Astro Pixel Processor might be even cleverer. You can also do it in PI provided you're up for the challenge of learning to speak PI.

During any image processing job I'm in and out of Registar like a jack-in-the-box because it is so darned useful.

Absolutely agree with Olly, probably the best purchase I have made.  I have two CCD cameras and a DSLR and 4 telescopes.  I can combine the data of any combination I like.  

One image I took years ago with a DSLR was the Horsehead Nebula.  When I tried to add Ha to it, whilst I found I could register in other programmes (can't remember what I used now and they didn't always work), when I overlaid the Ha the stars matched at one end of the image but did not at the other end.  Presume this could be the effect of different scopes and flatteners.  Took it into Registar and Bingo. Registar will even stretch the images to make the stars line up perfectly.  

Could not and would not be without it.

Carole 

21 hours ago, AlistairW said:

Is Registar still the only program that does what it does -?  (i.e. aligning images with different orientations etc) or does PI or AstrArt do this functionality now ?

Alistair

I use Registar only if my default alignment software choice (CCDstack) fails to work or if I'm creating a mosaic. Registar is also very good at compensating for slight optical aberrations eg camera tilt.  However, Registar does not perform error rejection or calibration so, you'll need to export the Registar aligned frames to another program to perform these functions.  Overall, I'm very impressed with Registar and would definitely recommend it.

Since I've I also have MaximDL, CCDstack and Pixinsight so I thought it would be worthwhile to give you my view on these:

MaximDL: I now only use for image acquisition in conjunction with ACP.  Basically, this is because I believe there are better post processing alternatives available. 

CCDstack: is a very impressive and easy to use program. 90% of the time I will use this for alignment of my images. I use this 100% of the time for image calibration, deconvolution and data error rejection. If you do decide to go down this route then I would strongly suggest you purchase the Adam Block tutorial on how to use this program effectively.

Pixinsight:  I've compared the results to Registar and CCDstack on image alignment and to me they are generally comparable, Unfortunately, I find Pixinsight much harder and time consuming to use, so I only use it if I'm convinced that a particular Pixinsight function gives a much better result than the alternative.  So far, I would say that Pixinsight gives superior results in gradient removal (DBE), green cast removal (SCNR), noise reduction, sharpening, star reduction and colour calibration. However, I always take the output of Pixinsight function and use it as a layer in PS where I do the majority of my post processing.  

Alan 

Astro Pixel Processor will definitely do it and a load of other very clever stuff too.  I've been tempted to buy Registar in the past but always viewed it as a bit of a one trick pony.

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/registration-normalization-integration-using-ddc-lnc-mbb/

I'm on the trial version atm, but will be buying it at the end of the month.

I just made a video last night covering this very topic.... It's only short and can be seen below.

I'd like to add at this point that I have absolutely no affiliation with APP, neither have I received any kickbacks..... I have paid the same for my licence as everyone else :) 

22 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Excellent Sara.  Is this the technique used to make Mosaics from Integrated Stacks (as opposed to subframes) too?  

Yes, but with a few different settings in the registration tool

On 10/07/2017 at 20:01, alan4908 said:

However, Registar does not perform error rejection or calibration so, you'll need to export the Registar aligned frames to another program to perform these functions.  Overall, I'm very impressed with Registar and would definitely recommend it.

Alan 

I think it would be best to do it the other way round if trying this. That is, calibrate the individual subs and save them all under a new name, then export them to Registar to co-register but not combine. Then go back to a stacking programme which will run a sigma clip which Registar won't do. (A palaver!)

You don't want Registar to 'move the image within the frame' before darks/bias/flats are applied.

But, as you imply, this isn't what Registar is set up to do and I agree that it will be best to use a dedicated caibration-stacking programme for individual sub combining.

Once or twice I've decided upon heavy stretching that AstroArt had not perfectly aligned my R,G and B. Rather than start again I've just split the channels, registered two of them to the third, applied crop and pad and recombined them in Ps. Problem solved.

Registar is a one trick pony but it's a good trick with plenty of elegant variations!

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I think it would be best to do it the other way round if trying this. That is, calibrate the individual subs and save them all under a new name, then export them to Registar to co-register but not combine. Then go back to a stacking programme which will run a sigma clip which Registar won't do. (A palaver!)

You don't want Registar to 'move the image within the frame' before darks/bias/flats are applied.

Agreed. I've had great results resizing and registering subs taken on different cameras (e.g. Ha data taken with the QHY9 and QHY163m) in Registar after calibration and sigma clip stacking in PI. Works a treat!

Still, I must try APP :happy11:

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

But, as you imply, this isn't what Registar is set up to do and I agree that it will be best to use a dedicated caibration-stacking programme for individual sub combining.

Once or twice I've decided upon heavy stretching that AstroArt had not perfectly aligned my R,G and B. Rather than start again I've just split the channels, registered two of them to the third, applied crop and pad and recombined them in Ps. Problem solved.

Registar is a one trick pony but it's a good trick with plenty of elegant variations!

Olly

Olly, yep, you are absolutely correct !

If you wish to use Registar for aligning individual subs that are not calibrated, then the correct workflow order would be:

1. Calibrate the individual subs in your calibration program.

2. Align these calibrated subs in Registar

3. Export the aligned and calibrated subs to your data rejection program.

4. Stack the resultant subs in your stacking program. 

5. Take the stacked result into your post processing program to perform gradient removal, deconvolution etc.

Alan

Just now, alan4908 said:

Olly, yep, you are absolutely correct !

If you wish to use Registar for aligning individual subs that are not calibrated, then the correct workflow order would be:

1. Calibrate the individual subs in your calibration program.

2. Align these calibrated subs in Registar

3. Export the aligned and calibrated subs to your data rejection program.

4. Stack the resultant subs in your stacking program. 

5. Take the stacked result into your post processing program to perform gradient removal, deconvolution etc.

Alan

Yes, that has to be correct. Nicely summarized.

Olly

Archived