Narrowband

Stein Optik..

Hi all

I had a walk around a carboot sale this morning and came across these unknown bin's..

Despite appearing to be very cheap bins (Rubbish softcase and lens caps) they really are extremely bright and clear!! Also, They're auto focus! The ocular lenses can be adjusted to the individual then away you go!! :hello2:

I paid £15 for them which is quite a sum from the bootsales but the brightness and clarity made me stick my hand in my pocket!! :icon_biggrin:

Does anyone know what the '200x120' actually means as i'm only familiar with the max x object lens dia markings!!

PvVpX0K.jpg

q0PcdaT.jpg

I've had Steiner bins before and still have a set of Steinheil bins but i've not heard of these before and there seems to be very little on the web about them! 

PS, I just did a search for 'Super view binoculars' and I found out they're Chinese make with Bak 4 prisms, Only 6 mag, They seem more powerful!!

Cheers, John :headbang:

• Like 1

Congratulations, a field of 200 m at 1 km is something like 11.4°. That is wonderfully wide!

Low power binoculars have interesting properties for  amateur astronomers. Their bright and wide fields make them excellent for rich field observing. And of course, low power means you won't need a tripod to get shake free views.

I have experience with 4x22, 17° field binoculars. Their exit pupil is 5.5 mm (22 divided by 4), which makes them bright enough to make targets like the Orion Nebula or the Andromeda galaxy stand out well. They offer impressive views of the constellations, and the the Milky Way is remarkable in them.

Low power ensures that individual eyepiece focussing is hardly an inconvenience. Lower magnification comes with a greater the depth of field, which actually is  a great benefits for nature observers. Unless your target is really nearby, it will look sharp, like everything else all the way to the horizon. Especially young children, whose eyes can accommodate over many diopters, will rarely need to adjust the focus of a low power pair of binoculars.

My 4x22 Kasai seem to have the same eyepieces as yours. Mine are from an inexpensive line made by Kunming United Optics. I guess your 6x30s come from the same factory.

Enjoy them!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2022 at 06:42, Blomme said:

I just saw one of these for sale as a pre owned product. How is it in the dark? Should i buy this to use as night binocular?

The asking price is 100 us dollars.

Kind regards 🙂 

Hi

Whilst these bins are very nice and clear/bright to use, I feel they're very cheap ones, Personally I wouldn't pay more than £20 (25U.S. Dollars)

I've not tried them in the dark, I would try them tonight but i'm not sure where they are in the house 😊

John 🙂

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone knows what these numbers relate too.

Yes, it means a bigger fraud than that the original poster was asking about! And "Stein" was just an effort in selling a Steiner ... to the in experienced observer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WJC said:

Just wondering if anyone knows what these numbers relate too.

Yes, it means a bigger fraud than that the original poster was asking about! And "Stein" was just an effort in selling a Steiner ... to the in experienced observer!

its possible that some of the low-qual brands have started quoting square mm and combining the figure for both sides to make the numbers look great to those that don't understand how to tell the difference between good and not so good.

Edited by DaveL59

I would like to address a couple of things here.

There are no NON-ELECTRONIC “auto-focus” binoculars ... period! That was a scam that I believe Steiner started in the 1990s. It is thoroughly explained in the first 3 attachments.

As for as numbers: the Japanese know 3 important things about the western market:

1) Overall, we believe EVERYTHING we read regardless of the truthfulness.

2) Most know NOTHING about optics or binoculars. And that ...

3) We love BIG NUMBERS, whether or not they mean anything.

The final photo is of a garden-variety 7x50 binocular that was advertised as a 120x120 binocular. The first 120 meant the objective was 120 millimeters (4.77 inches in diameter). Does that look like a 4.77-inch diameter to you? The second 120 was supposedly the magnification. Even if the aperture was as advertised, objects seen at that magnification would be as bright as a black cat, at midnight ... in a cave. But do you think the people who gave money to those charlatans understood any of that? No! I have been fighting this insanity for 46 years in lectures, articles, and books, but I have yet to make a dent.

“Good advertising need not be accurate or even meaningful. It has only to be believed!”

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.06.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.06.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.07.15 PM.png

Scan copy 2.jpg

• Like 1