Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where is the Delaware Diamond?

I'm working on a book about symbols of the 50 states. Delaware has an official state, called the Delaware State. It's reportedly in the constellation Ursa Major, but I haven't been able to find a picture that shows its precise location.

I've found the following information online:

The star TYC 3429-697-1 (9h 40m 44s; 48°14′2″, located to the east of θ Ursae Majoris and to the southwest of the "Big Dipper") has been recognized as the state star of Delaware, and is informally known as the Delaware Diamond.[

coordinates of right ascension 9h40m44s and declination 48°14’2”Coordinates of right ascension 9h40m44s and declination 48°14'2".

Can anyone help me? My goal is to simply create a picture of the "Big Dipper" with the arrow pointing to the Delaware Diamond.

Thank you.

This should help:

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/delaware/state-astronomy-symbol/delaware-diamond

And on Page 7 of this Pdf. you have a small star-map circling the star so designated:

Delaware Facts and Symbols.pdf

Google is your Friend! :p

Dave

ps - Welcome to SGL - it's nice to have you aboard!

Strange that they would choose such an insignicant star, only visible through a telescope, and a long way from the Big Dipper, to represent an entire state! I wonder if it's some kind of ironic joke.

Couldn't they have adopted something like Capella, Deneb or Vega, by adopting one I doubt they need to rename it. Sure no one would have minded. Sort of any that are circumpolar to Delaware. Adopting a 1st Mag star to correspond to their 1st state history would have been an idea.

I would also have said there were "adoptable" stars brighter then Mag 12, mag 12 is dim. Not sure when they stop naming them but guess around Mag 4 or 6.

6 hours ago, lukebl said:

Strange that they would choose such an insignicant star, only visible through a telescope, and a long way from the Big Dipper, to represent an entire state! I wonder if it's some kind of ironic joke.

I think they chose it because of it's name. Delaware is nicknamed The Diamond State because it's small and valuable, like a diamond. Utah has an official state star, too.

Who knows, maybe they'll start a new trend. Now that just about every state has an official fossil, they're suddenly adopting official firearms. Tennessee went overboard and adopted a snipers rifle (yuck), and Texans had to outdo them, so they were going to adopt an official CANNON, but it didn't pass.

I'll stick with stars - like the stars on Alaska's dreamy flag.

6 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

This should help:

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/delaware/state-astronomy-symbol/delaware-diamond

And on Page 7 of this Pdf. you have a small star-map circling the star so designated:

Delaware Facts and Symbols.pdf

Yes, I saw both of those. But the first one just has a photo of the Big Dipper, and the map in the PDF is so crude, I can't make out the location.

Maybe I should be content to tell readers the star is "somewhere in the Big Dipper." But someone on this thread said it's a long ways from the Big Dipper. I think I've seen it both ways on the Internet.

What a waste to adopt an official star and not even tell people where it is. ;)

Archived