SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What way up on the telescope ?

ultranova

Hi Everyone....bit of a strange question...I have just set my newt up on the mount

And I can't remember if it's ok to have my cc'd camera on top of the newt, it occurred

To me that the cold in the cc'd chamber would probably frost up the front window

On the camera,,,,so my question is ,,,,is it ok on top...or do I have to hang all the gear

Underneath the Newtonian telescope..any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks Paul

I don't think it matter too much whether its at the top or bottom. As you're imaging the sensor will generate some warmth so it'll, most likely,  stop it from frosting over.

In the past I added some cooling peltiers to a IS DMK41 CCD as an experiment to create some cooling for it. It definitely worked, took away most of the noise on a 10 minute dark frame test, the CCD was at the back of a SCT so essentially pointing up, there was a lot of dew/water dripping off the casing but the sensor was always dry.

Thanks Guys.... normally i put a slr camera on so underneath or on top didn't really matter

After I set the 383l with filter wheel and balanced it all out that's when I thought of 

Which way up it should go underneath or on top...... ideally I would like it on the side

But all the weight on one side would be very problematic to Ballance out....I'll stick it underneath i think

I had just better make sure the thumb screws are damn tight...

Thanks for the info most helpful

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Just such a dilemma is why I'm a refractor nut.

All I have to worry about is that I get the camera on the small end.... :tongue2:

(I can always rotate my image in post processing. Even if it is 'backwards'.)

I've heard of some astrophotographers who couldn't have their camera on the mount side of the tube, because it would hit the mount. But that was more of an exception. If there is a risk of this happening to you, do a daytime check, especially the focuser. Otherwise, closer to the mount is better.

Archived