Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm debating if I want to buy some binoculars or not to assist me in find deep sky objects. I currently have the Cekestron Omni 150XLT Newtonian telescope and live in the heavily light polluted city of Dallas so by looking at star charts I can find the general area of some Messier objects like the whirlpool galaxy but can't see them with my naked eye, so would buying a pair of low powered binoculars assist me in seeing these objects so I can align my telescope with them to get an even better view?

Thank y'all 

They will help you find them as things like M13 and M92, and C14 (Double Cluster) become more obvious. So taking M13 you will "guess" the side it is on, aim binoculars at that side and sweep between the 2 stars and hopefully the bit of fuzz theat is M13 will make an appearance. So in that way Yes you know where it is with a bit more detail/confidence. Binoculars are in this respect ideal as they enable you to look around.

What I am not so sure of is how well this transfers to then pointing the scope at the same bit of the sky. The scopes narrower field of view will negatge the ease of pointing the scope as easily.

Depends on the finder/pointing thing that is on the Newtonian also.

I suspect they will help you as you will have confirmed where something is, also that it is there, always good to be sure. But you still have to point or star hop the scope to that location.

That's what I was thinking also but I figured that I could use the binoculars to find background stars and use those background stars to help me find whatever I am trying to find since the field of view will be bigger because I am good at getting in the general area of what I am trying to find with my telescope but I am not able to get to the exact location because when I look through the telescope I see more stars than what I am used to due to the amount of light pollution

I think that you would be better served by adding an 8x50 or 9x50 RACI finder to your scope. It will give a similar view to a binocular and can be aligned with your scope so that whatever you find in the finder will appear in the scope. However, if you are in a heavily light polluted location then galaxy hunting is a bit of a fool's errand as the one thing you need is a dark background sky. 

Ricochet, above, has an excellent suggestion in getting a 50mm RACI (Right-Angle Correct Image) finder scope. Here's what we're talking about:

595ff74a80ecd_Zhumell8X50mm.jpeg.252b520af19868ec1a440e0e126daca4.jpeg

The one pictured above is made by GSO (Guan Sheng Optics in Taiwan), and can be found with numerous brand-names. Like the Zhumell-branded one above. These can prevent neck & back strain at the scope, making longer observations possible before pain would set-in with a straight-through model. Note the design of the mounting-shoe, and see if your '150' has the same designed one as in the image. They also can be found for a very reasonable cost - such as AgenaAstro in Los Angeles:

http://agenaastro.com/gso-8x50mm-right-angle-correct-image-finder.html

I find these to be the best variety out there, which explains why I have 3 of them! :p Aside from these 8 X 50mm RACI's, I also have 2 pairs of binoculars.

Enjoy Our Cosmos -

Dave

My 2 pennies worth, my whole astronomy experience has been enhanced, first by adding a 9x50 RACI finder scope to my 150 reflector, and more recently by investing in 15x70 bins. The bins help me familiarise myself with the he general area of a DSO, then the RACI gets me nearby. 

Ah yall are awesome thank you so much I'm definitely going to invest in the RACI that sounds like exactly what I am looking for and will help me soooo much, thank you!!!!

On 07/07/2017 at 22:17, Peco4321 said:

my whole astronomy experience has been enhanced, first by adding a 9x50 RACI finder

I found the opposite to be true, the RACI was not orientating the image the way that I had imagined? the image was still not 'corrected' due to the initial  position of the finder!

If fixed to a refractor, there would be no issue whatsoever, but as I view from the side of my scope/finder the image was still not correcting ( as perceived with my eyes ) with the eyepiece at 90° from the scope!

What I failed to do was to add some, in-fact not enough rotation to the finder, with the eyepiece now facing me (more level with the scopes circumference) in order to properly correct the image when sitting aside the finder. This I learnt from a fellow SGL'er.

I have just taken the finder out-side without scope attached ( too bright - too cloudy at present )  and I can correct the image as desired,  viewed from aside the finder. This all makes sense when you attach one to a Newtonian.

As for the Binoculars, I still prefer my 8x40 aside the scope, but I will at some stage exchange my Revelation 15x70s for Oberwerk Ultra 15x70's :icon_biggrin:

(There's a battle of thoughts going on at present regarding new binoculars ? ) Uk availability and/or funds for another project, namely the TT GO5200 (which Ive already owned  and returned due to a charging fault!) surely they can't all be faulty!
Which one comes first, who knows, but there is a shopping trip soon?

Archived