Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can any one explain why I can't get focus and also advise on remedy please.

I have fitted a 2 inch  Baader Clicklock to the focuser tube on my SW Startravel 120mm. My least powerful eye piece is a vixen SLV 20mm. With the focuser tube all the way home with no travel left I am unable to get focus. I have no problem with my other EP's.

I presume you are using the 2" diagonal in your list? This might be the issue as they take up a lot of in travel (2" diagonals that is probably 100mm). Weird that it's just the 20mm. Are you getting close but not quite or a long way off?

Baader clicklocks also take up some travel (about 35-40mm) so maybe it's the combo?

Thanks Shane. That would explain the problem. Yes the 2 inch Diaganol is used and I am very close to focus but not quit there. So without getting too technical, am I right in assuming that because I am using the clicklock and 2 inch Diaganol I have extended the focal point of the scope which is causing the problem?.

Is this going to give me the same problem when I get my 120 ed (FL 900) if so is there a fix?

the focal point has remained the same but you are eating up in focus with additional 'extensions'. I doubt you'll need the clicklock on the 120ED as it has compression fittings. I think there should be adequate room on the drawtube with the 120ED. I'll check mine later although I seem to remember being told someone had removed about 7mm from the tube to allow use of the clicklock so maybe I am wrong. That said, I have a Moonlite on it now so it won't be the same distances anyhow.

I have replaced the 2inch Diaganol for the supplied Skywatcher 1.25 erecting prism but kept the clicklock on the scope. I have had a quick check albeit on a terrestrial target. When in focus with the 20 mm eye piece I still have about 20 - 25 cm of travel left on the focuser tube. So it would appear that the 2 inch Diaganol was causing the problem. Weather report for the next few days is not good here so may have to wait awhile to check it out of Astro targets.

Archived