Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
newbie alert

12nm Ha filter with Dslr

Hi all,just wanting to pic someone's brains.. As normally with a DSLR imaging during a full moon seems to be a waste of time and as a Ha filter cuts throu the l.p. a little,is it possible to do some HA narrowband imaging with a DSLR? I have  a 12nm Ha filter,would that work or does the bandwidth have to be narrower to cut the l.p. out.. so it be like a Ha,rgb image..Or is this just for the ccd owners?

Narrow band filters are designed to be used with mono cameras. Also the Moon doesn't give off Ha to my knowledge.

It's a astronomik clip in filter..made for dslr's too

versions.

Astronomik filters are available in a a variety of sizes including 1.25 inch, 2 inch and a patented Clip Filter system that can be inserted within seconds directly into a Canon EOS camera body. There are no changes necessary and all lens functions (focus, screen, image stabilization) remain functional!

1 hour ago, Stargazer33 said:

Narrow band filters are designed to be used with mono cameras. Also the Moon doesn't give off Ha to my knowledge.

More than just the moon to image out there 

This is a 7nm baader H-a with a 550D 16 x 10 min ISO800. You will find that you have to focus using a mask rather than live view below 7nm, but thats no different froma CCD anyway

Autosave004-3.thumb.jpg.243b8a70421680862eb73ebb29e2423b.jpg

• Like 7

I'd say 12 nm is not narrow enough to shoot HA when the moon is out. I have one myself and I think even a moon at 50% is too evasive for really good results. 

23 minutes ago, MartinFransson said:

I'd say 12 nm is not narrow enough to shoot HA when the moon is out. I have one myself and I think even a moon at 50% is too evasive for really good results. 

I agree and the 12nm clip is in the same price range as the 2" 7nm Baader so why would anyone pick the 12nm clip unless using a lens. 

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

I agree and the 12nm clip is in the same price range as the 2" 7nm Baader so why would anyone pick the 12nm clip unless using a lens. 

Mine is a Canon clip-in and it's almost half the cost of a 6 nm clip-in. But if I had a CCD I would never use a 12 nm.

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

I wouldnt get focus unless I use the clip filter on my 250px. 

This was taken with a 12nm clip insert filter during full moon:

IMG_3465.JPG

Edited by tooth_dr

The Moon "shines" with reflected sunlight. So whatever light the Sun gives off is reflected by the Moon.

However, the Moon does not reflect all wavelengths equally: it "shines" redder than the Sun does. When you compare the light spectrum of the Sun and the Moon, it turns out that the Moon gives off proportionately more Hα light than the Sun does.

Here are the curves:

72dkh.png

The best advice has to be try it and see what happens. It wiill be a learning experience so it can't possibly be wasted effort.

Someone will always point out that you can't get results like they do. they forget that you are looking for 'how can I get better than I would get otherwise with my kit' not 'what can I get if I sell the family silver to buy more goodies' :laugh:

1 hour ago, pete_l said:

The Moon "shines" with reflected sunlight. So whatever light the Sun gives off is reflected by the Moon.

However, the Moon does not reflect all wavelengths equally: it "shines" redder than the Sun does. When you compare the light spectrum of the Sun and the Moon, it turns out that the Moon gives off proportionately more Hα light than the Sun does.

Here are the curves:

72dkh.png

As you can see, the Ha filter will reject about 90% of the red light from the moon  so it will improve contrast as @tooth_dr's image shows.

The longer you can make the exposures the more benefit you will get, but as the filter barely reduces the signal from the nebula itself RGB exposures that show the nebula WILL show it better with the Ha filter.

I tried a 7nm filter recently, but as the night time temperature was well over 20 degrees the images were very noisy. I added the results to an RGC image and got some benefit, but I need lower temperatures to get better results.

5965ce9384fa6_SuperPixelplusHaRGB.thumb.png.ef1413bd32bf07325c2dda3cfb40f9ab.png

I have since fitted a cold finger to my camera and I have now got a guide camera, so I'll be able to try really long exposures, but no clear skies to see what happens!