SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn (IR-RGB) 5 July 2017

geoflewis

At last an opportunity last night to try out my Astronomic  IR Pro 742nm filter on Saturn. The fiirst IR grab was very promising, but then the clouds rolled in, so the remainder of the data was grabbed between, or through clouds. However, the seeing was fair to good with the jet stream well out of the way, so I'm pretty pleased with the final image captured over approximately 1.25 hours.

Saturn(IR-RGB)-5July2017.jpg.9395b62ef05ceaae6ffd2c539f6fb04c.jpg

The image comprises 5xIR stacked in AS3, sharpened in Registax6, then added as a luminance in PS to the RGB, which itself comprised a single avi for each channel aslo stacked and sharpened in AS3/R6 and combined in PS. There is a quite good globe shadow detail on the rings, with a hint of Enke and ring C also visible.

I hope that you like it.

Regards,

Geof

Thanks Martyn,

Its certainly not an easy target from the UK currently, so its great when a plan comes together. The IR filter makes a huge difference, I'll put up the different channels later so that you can see the difference from a pretty sharp IR through to a rubbish blue...

Regards, Geof

Thanks Pete,

I'm new to mono CCD imaging both for DSO and planetary. I was having problems with just the RGB filters, then my planetary imaging 'mentor', suggested using the IR filter - £32 later and it arrived from Bern at Modern Astronomy. What a huge difference, I had no idea...!! You never stop learning in this hobby:happy7:

Cheers, Geof

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

I'll put up the different channels later so that you can see the difference from a pretty sharp IR through to a rubbish blue...

595e9cef5ddd0_SaturnIR-RGBmontage-5July2017.jpg.c23823f5f6ece490d490fa308f654e6a.jpg

Here's a montage of the component images including the RGB and final IR-RGB; I hope that you find it interesting....

Regards, Geof

6 minutes ago, Grotemobile said:

That  is a very good image Geof.  The long f/l of the C14 , really comes into its own on planetary imaging .

Thanks Steve,

For several weeks earlier in the year I was concerned that I'd bought a dud as I just couldn't get any decent images of Jupiter, but as I was reeatedly being told its all down to the poor seeing that we've had most of the year. Eventualy I had a night of decent seeing and my confidence started to return, but it sure is challenging shooting at <15 degrees altitude; even Jupiter at +/-30 degrees is tough going.

Regards, Geof

I had a C11 & sold it because of the same problem Geof. My C8 HD performs a  lot better . I live in 

town which was the main problem. I seemed to suffer with thermal currents in the C11. Would love 

a bigger scope again, but with poor seeing @ the moment it is not worth it. 

4 hours ago, Grotemobile said:

I had a C11 & sold it because of the same problem Geof. My C8 HD performs a  lot better

Hi Steve,

I only upgraded from a 10" Meade LX200GPS to the C14 last summer. It was a big decision for me as the optics of the Meade were pretty awsome for planetary, but the mount was a piece of trash when it came to DSO imaging. I seriously thought about deforking the 10" OTA and mounting it on my AP1200, but in the end I took advice that there was more value in the LX200 as a complete unit, so I PX traded up to the C14. The AP1200 hardly knows that its got the C14 on it...!! There is no doubt that the larger scope suffers from thermal imbalance, but I can open the observatory several hours before I need to use it, plus it has been modified with fans and flocking which should help. I guess the C14 will only really come into its own for HD planatary on those rare occasions that we experience excellent seeing in the UK and even then its probably more an investment for the future when Jupiter and Saturn start to climb altitide again in the mid 2020s.

I will also use it for small DSO targets, albeit it is a slow scope so will take time to collect data, but I like the idea of single gaxaies, globulars, PNs, etc. being a good size on the chip. I also moved from suburban Surrey to rural Norfolk to get the benefit of dark skies for DSO work and am now pleased to enjoy 21+ SQM (NELM 6.5+) skies when there is no moon about.

Cheers, Geof

34 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Great result, especially when Saturn is quite low at your part of your world.

Many thanks, yes, its currently a tough target and never going to turn out great at such low altitudes, but iall the more rewarding when one captures something half decent :hello2:

3 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Many thanks, yes, its currently a tough target and never going to turn out great at such low altitudes, but iall the more rewarding when one captures something half decent :hello2:

exactly

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Quaternion said:

Very nice.  I ca definitely see a hint of Enke's Gap and the C-ring.

I've never tried my 610nm on Saturn with the ASI224MC.  Maybe it is worth a shot.

Thanks.

Thanks for looking. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...!! I'd definitely give it a try. Geof

Archived