Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Supply Amps to feed the entire equipment

carlosgib

Hi, although I do not have an ASA mount (actually the 10Micron), my question is based if I can use for example a ASA Power Supply Unit 12V - 21A   throughout to power cameras, fw, dewheaters etc, separate to the mount. And if so, do I need to split the main output cable to connect to each unit. 

Normally , and in a generals context, a CCD works up to 1.5-2A, Filterwheel around that level of amps like the focuser and guide camera, its correct to say that we need to add all these amps of all the units I am using, and take into consideration that the total amp-age does not surpass the power supply amps.

Thanks 

All equipment you wish to connect will have a power supply requirement indication, so just add it all up & add 10% for overheads and you should have a better idea of what you need to supply, I forgot to add that imho use a single over-rated cable from the supply to the mount (minimises voltage drop) & use a local power splitter..

I would keep the cameras on a separate supply to the "dirty" equipment like mount and dew heater.

Usually the guide camera and filter wheel only need USB power so can be powered from the USB port they are connected to. If your camera has a built-in hub like the Tius and ASI then your wheel can be connected to, and be powered by, the main camera.

Although I *do* have an ASA mount and power supply I only use it to power the mount and dew heaters, the cameras have their own supplies and the wheels connect to them. Not needing guiding any more I don't have a guider.

Broadly speaking, yes.

But do bear in mind that some connectors can have badly crimped joints to the wires they feed and some wires (while looking reassuringly thick) can be mostly plastic insulation with just a few strands of thin copper inside.

Both of those shortcomings can add resistance to the supply. So you might think you are feeding 12V at 2A up the wire, but you can easily drop a volt or two at that current with bad connections or poor cables.

It is also worth noting that some "power supplies" are merely battery chargers. As such, they do not react well to fast-changing loads - such as when a motor starts running (or stops), Their transient response characteristics being only designed for constant or slowly changing charging situations. Not for demanding loads.

Archived