sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The MW from Perissa Beach, Santorini. Taken on my recent 23rd wedding anniversary trip with my lovely missus. Canon 6d/Samyang 14mm, bracketed image - sky 10 x 25s iso 800 stacked in PI, for

This is the best Earth and Sky image I've ever seen. In fact I've never seen a better astrophoto. It is both robust and delicate, terrestrial and celestial - and the composition and lighting are stunn

My only experience of Santorini was pre-airport in 1972. We visited it from Ios by mail boat in quite a rough sea. Rather good! It was waiting for a night ferry on Ios that I woke up on the dock about

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Hey that's lovely - I'd like to do some MW shots this year but struggling to find foreground!

The waves look good - puzzled how you got that if 30s exposure?

Why thank you! The appearance of the waves is down to a hefty chunk of luck - the light emanating from the establishments on the road lit the beach up perfectly and the ocean was very still. 

2 hours ago, The Admiral said:

That's a lovely image Rich. I must find an opportunity to attempt something like that.

What's the bright light on the horizon? Another lighthouse or the Moon rising?

Ian

Many thanks! I'm uncertain of the absolute nature of the light source but can safely say it's not the moon, which was a waxing crescent at 15 degrees or thereabouts (my guess!). Total luck really but it was a beautiful night!

Thank you all for your lovely comments!

This is the best Earth and Sky image I've ever seen. In fact I've never seen a better astrophoto. It is both robust and delicate, terrestrial and celestial - and the composition and lighting are stunning. It's a technichal tour de force and an artistic tour de force.

A masterpiece.

Olly

• Like 3

I'm truly overwhelmed by the response to this image, thank you all so much for taking the time to look at it!

Your opinions are very important to me and I have the greatest respect for the them, whether they be good or bad. Thanks again for making my day, I hope to return the favour soon :icon_salut:

• Like 1

I know that beach, walked down it once.. it did not look anywhere near as stunning as this masterpiece! It's a fantastic image no doubt.. thanks for sharing, congrats on th anniversary and best wishes for many more if this is what they can lead too.. 

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 1

My only experience of Santorini was pre-airport in 1972. We visited it from Ios by mail boat in quite a rough sea. Rather good! It was waiting for a night ferry on Ios that I woke up on the dock about 3.00 am and looked up to see more stars than I could believe possible. I was stunned, as an eighteen year-old brought up in a town. When I got home later and told my father about it he waxed lyrical about the sky in the Lake District during the black outs of WW2. For all that, it would be another quarter of a century before my travels put me in touch with the wonders of astronomy.

Olly

• Like 2

WOW!

The Milky Way element is like looking at NGC 891 only in mega detailed close up.

And with regard to the whole composition, with apologies to Steve Richards, if anyone on this forum aspires to wanting to 'Make Every Photon Count' just keep studying this image.

Superb 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

One of the few threads I keep clicking in to just to see that whole image / composition! Amazing! Totally get that printed large scale!

Thank you very much! I've just had a 20 X 30 print done that I'm well pleased with ?

• Like 2

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Best sky scape I ever seen. Everythig is perfect. Horizon one third up. Milky way beginning two thirds up. Horizon, beach, Waves, MW and line of trees meeting two thirds from left. But also puzzling interesting light in image center and a light house (?) in view. Perfect exposure of beach, water, sky, stars, and trees. And so mystic, yet harmonic. You can imagine the sounds from the sea and from the bars and restaurants under the trees. I Always find something distracting in images, but cant find anything to complain about here. This is 100% perfect. Sell camera, you will not do anything better than this!

Christer, Sweden

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Juicy6 said:

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Best sky scape I ever seen. Everythig is perfect. Horizon one third up. Milky way beginning two thirds up. Horizon, beach, Waves, MW and line of trees meeting two thirds from left. But also puzzling interesting light in image center and a light house (?) in view. Perfect exposure of beach, water, sky, stars, and trees. And so mystic, yet harmonic. You can imagine the sounds from the sea and from the bars and restaurants under the trees. I Always find something distracting in images, but cant find anything to complain about here. This is 100% perfect. Sell camera, you will not do anything better than this!

Christer, Sweden

Many thanks Christer and thanks once again to all who have commented and shown appreciation, I'm well chuffed! :thumbsup: