Narrowband

obsy cabeling

darknight

guys, as things do I have had to change my plans.

I now will be(hopefully) using a pre existing shed to house me and the computer bits, then put a pier 8m away under a toolshed type shed completely set up with scope and ccd etc. permantly.

I need to use a lot longer cables from the ccds I believe they are called usb to type (the printer type ends) and they can be a maximum I have heard of 10m.

I run eqmod, with a hitec astro usb to the serial end to the eq6, now can I just use a usb to usb to make this longer or is there something in the usb end of the hitec one (and or will that carry through to the comp if I use usb to usb.

hope you get my meaning as I have never dealt with longer leads and setting this up.

also need a psu for the eq6

thanks for the help......or ideas

If you are only going to be using the one PC, then I'd suggest using a good quality powered USB Hub e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LH5ZPNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V6ADRQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise use a USB over CAT5 device e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Port-USB-Cat5-Extender/dp/B00T9RTT2U/ref=sr_1_11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1499337514&sr=1-11&keywords=usb+over+cat5  but both of these will required a reliable power source.

I use a local PC attached to the pier, with hubs, and controlled from inside the house...

what I intend now is the shed to be used for the obsy as such and the pier to be operated fully inside the shed with no wifi, so all direct cables, sounds a bit weird but it means I don't have to move the shed, itl basically be a warm room in winter.

would I need a powered hub if it all goes straight into the pc? I have 3 usb ports, so was thinking the extra 2 I need are gust for mouse and wireless gamepad, so was just going to link them to a hub on the laptop?

sorry for maybe silly questions but at the moment I'm getting totally confused with it all, maybe better moving the shed,LOL,

the other reason is we didn't want it seen as much from the house,

By using a hub, you've cut down the wiring from x to one, so put in a contingency spare... 

But realistically, you'll be feeding power for mount, cameras, filter wheel, focuser, dew control etc. so a bit more for secure control, will save on the hair pulling... 

I am in the same situation. This is how I am dealing with it. A small wooden box (made out of and old shed I dismantled) with a lift up lid and water tight with my pc in very close to my pier. This has mains and cat5 going to it and then its close enough to use standard usb connection to the mount.

I then use cat5/usb extenders which are cheap and a long vga lead from the pc hut to the shed to house the keyboard mouse and monitor.

You can get really reliable usb hubs but these are expensive. 

thanks for the input help guys :) with those wifi extenders, the ones you plug into the mains, if I use an extension cable up into the shed then plug one in, will that work, or better just to run a cat 5 up?

They can be flaky with extension leads. If your running a mains lead to the shed then cat5 is just another cable. You would be better off buying a second hand router to act as a repeater than using the plug in types.

i am running 2 usb2.0 over cat5 as i had plenty of cable  at a distance of 20M and i no connection issues problems at all famous last words. i use one for the camera this is to a expensive startec usb 2.0 to cat 5 and the other is an unbranded cheap and cheerful one for all the other controls where download speed is not an issue this one also goes to a powered Lindy 7 port usb 2.0 hub at the pier.  if more ports are required then you can just hang another hub off one of the ports on the original hub. i also have a good quality 12v amateur radio  power supply  which is switch mode but the output is as clean as a whistle basically do not scrimp on the power supply as a good quality one will not let you down.

My pier is in the garden and links in to a brick obsy building via underground cables. No mains goes to the pier (not needed) and all data is through a Cat 5 cable. The only power is 12v from 2 Maplin's Bench supplies and one of them feeds into a box on the pier with 2 DC - DC 12v to 5v convertors. All cabling runs in a trench through a 2 inch flexible armoured conduit. There are also 2 serial cables for the focus and HC serial connection to the PC with Starry Night Pro 6. I also have Splashtop on all my computers which allows me to control the whole setup from anywhere in the world through the internet.

Archived