Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 12"

According to skywatcher.com the tube itself comes in at around 21kg, packaged it weighs 23kg. The base ships in a different box than the tube and weighs 20kg (with packaging, so around 18kg without) for the normal version and 33kg (with packaging, so around 31kg without) for the GOTO version. So it could be that the normal version weighs around 44kg and the GOTO version around 54kg...? Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

I'm just taking a wild guess here, I just own the 200P.

A lot I expect!

My Carbon Quattro (250mm) is not exactly a light weight and although I haven't suffered a hernia yet, when I do take it off the mount I need to compose my self in preparation for the dead weight. Mine is essentially permanently mounted and tbh I'm glad I don't need to move it around much..

Steve

Dibs seem to be quite awkward to carry around, especially in the dark. This seems to extenuate the weight.

As Eastwig says, the 12" would be right on the limit. My SW 10" is fine. Don't underestimate the importance of convenience. If your scope isn't portable enough. You won't use it much. My 16" only comes out if the conditions are right.

Paul

I own a 12" flexi tube and it's not to much of a struggle for me to move about.

I have tried moving it all in one and that is slightly to much for me.

As long as you take your time and use manual handling techniques you shouldn't have a problem.

I had a Meade Lightbridge 12" dob for a while - my 1st 12" scope. I believe it weighed about the same as the Skywatcher 12" Flextube. It was a decent scope but quite heavy to move. Once set up, I could not (safely) move the whole thing so I moved it in 2 sections - the tube and the mount. Because of the weight the scope did not get as much as it deserved and I eventually sold it and settled for a much lighter Orion Optics 10" optical tube on an alt-az mount which got used a lot more. My current 12" dob is an Orion Optics on a custom made plywood mount and the whole thing weighs about the same as a Skywatcher 10" dob. That 12" gets plenty of use :icon_biggrin:

I don't think the actual weight will be the problem it's that they are bulky and cumbersome I have the 200p and have to carry it through 2door ways and down one step which in itself is not a problem but you tend to carry it awkwardly because your doing your damndest not to knock it,bump it or scratch it in any way.I leave my finderscope in place but one day,one day I fear the dreaded clunk.

I put my 300p GoTo on a platform with castors which can then be effortless moved round to my observing patch on the terrace. I usually leve it there parked (and well covered ) if the weather looks good.

I have a 250PX, and, as "triton1" mentions above, it is not the pure weight that is the problem, it's the "wide-knee waddle" posture that you have to adopt to get the mount, and then the OTA, through doorways and over/up/down steps. I have not tried the 12", but, having reached retirement age, my 10" comes close to the top end of my comfort range.

Geoff

Archived