Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shortened Dob struts - Lunar Liveview video

Howie_Oz

The Canon 700D wouldn't come to focus in my XX12GT dob, so I did the usual thing and shortened the struts. Well, actually the struts are still the same length, but I found the connection plate had enough surface area to allow me to drill a second set of attachment holes 35mm lower on the plate thus effectively shortened the focal length when I used those new holes.

Worked a treat and out the backyard in my Brisbane Australia home, I was treated to the best live video feed I've seen from my scope. My other OTA, my old faithful 200p newtonian, has an eFocuser but just hasn't got the fine ratio like the XX12 OTA's dual speed. I need to invest in a new two speed focuser for the 200p.

Anyway, live HD desktop video link below ... as per another post with video link, I waffle a bit so use the Youtube settings cog to set (a) twice normal speed so the video is only 8mins instead of 16; (b) set 720p HD; and (c) go full screen.

I was very happy I took the trouble to do the mod to enable the Canon to reach focus and thus do liveview. Can't wait to do a bit of outreach at my clubs next astro night.

Hope you enjoy the about 320x mag view.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/LQJ9WyE2nmA

Nice video :icon_biggrin:

Shortening the struts does not actually change the focal length of the scope but it moves the focal plane of the primary mirror outwards from the tube wall so the 700D can reach focus - and that is the important thing !

Archived